Welcome to Great Lakes History Companion, Home Page Mason County,and Ludington Michigan Area History and Genealogy


Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information?



Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information? Mail to: Dave Petersen




1882 Death Notices and Obituaries

Ludington Record (a weekly Paper printed every Thursday)

Jan. 19, 1882

Jesse Christiansen, a resident of the Third Ward, died Tuesday, of Pluero-pneumonia, after a brief illness.

Charles Gorden has buried a beloved daughter of 9 years. She was beloved by all, and many sorrowed t her departure. Grant Twp.

Jan. 26, 1882

Richard Fuller, of Benona, was found dead near his partially loaded sleigh a few days ago. The deceased had evidently fell backwards and died suddenly of heart disease, after placing a stick of considerable size on the sleigh. He had been dead but a short time when discovered.

Feb. 2, 1882

David Darr, Esq. , one of the oldest settlers in Freesoil died at his residence on Wednesday, Jan. 25, and was buried the following Saturday morning. The funeral was very largely attended. Rev. Mr. Lovejoy conducted the services. Mr. Darr was born in Somersett County, PA> and passed his youth in Ohio. He removed to Ionia county in 1862 and to Mason County the following year., having resided in Freesoil for the past nineteen years. Deceased was 66 years old, less six days. He was widely esteemed as a good citizen.

Robert Smith, a resident of the Third ward, died Wednesday morning from injuries received a week ago while engaged cutting down trees in the woods. His injuries were extremely complicated, having sustained broken bones and bruises on the right side from head to foot. He was a member of the Labor union, and will be buried under their auspices. He leaves a wife and family.

Little Wilbur, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Nickel, died from pneumonia, after a sickness of only three days. He was a bright loving child. A darkened home and sad hearts now, are where his smile and innocent voice made sunshine brightness. A wide circle of friends sympathize with the afflicted parents and relatives.

Feb. 9, 1882 No deaths reported

Feb. 16th, 1882

Last Saturday afternoon the last sad rites were performed over the remains of Mrs. Joseph Lohner, whose untimely end is much lamented. Mrs. Lohner leaves two small children, one but a few days old. The services were held in the Baptist, Rev. Mr. Hewitt officiating. The church was crowded and the long line of friends and sympathizers who followed the remains to the grave attest to the estimation in which deceased was held. Mr. Lohner has the sympathy of the community in his great affliction.


Mr. and Mrs. Holmes have lost another child by diphtheria. Their baby died a few weeks ago. Two more of their children are sick.

Feb. 23, 1882

Tallman: Mr. Louks’ oldest boy, Eddie, died Tuesday morning of diphtheria. He was a smart lad of 13 y and was secretary of our Sunday School. He kept the minutes and gave his report every Sunday. We shall miss him from our number. I hear that Mrs. Louks is sick with the same disease.

Sweetland Was shocked at the sudden announcement that Mr. John Eastman, of Sherman, was dead. It appeared that Mr. Eastman had several bridge contracts in various parts of the county, and was at work on one of these in Branch township, where he was taken suddenly very ill and died before medical aid could reach him. He had complained of a pain in his side a day or two previous to his death, but paid no attention to it until it was too late to get any aid.

His body was brought to Sweetland on the 10:20 p.m. train, and then conveyed to Sherman for interment. He leaves a wife and family of small children to mourn his sudden departure from this life. The above are the facts as near as we can ascertain at present. Update: Died at Branch, on the 18th day of February, 1882, John Eastman of the township of Sherman, Mason County, Michigan. He was born at Alfred, Prescott County, Canada, on January 16, 1847

Mar. 2, 1882

. Summit News

A very sad accident occurred here last Saturday. Joseph Avery, a young man about 25 years was killed while making ties upon Francis Shappee’s land. He and Willard Holland were engaged in sawing a huge oak log over 4 feet in diameter and 25 feed along which lay on the south side of a very steep hill.

In the morning they and tried repeatedly to roll the log down the hill but without effect, and therefore supposed that but one part of the log would start if they sawed it in two. When the log was sawed in two, both cuts started, and the unfortunate man attempted to escape by running down the hill; bur fore he had gone 30 feet they overtook him, and their courses running together both logs passed over him crushing his head and body frightfully. He died in about 15 minutes. Intelligence of his death was telegraphed to his relatives that afternoon, and his body was requested to be sent to Traverse City.

March 9, 1882

Mrs. William N. Bailey, of the fourth ward was buried – last Tuesday. Rev. Mr. Whitmore conducted the funeral services. The remains were followed to the grave by a long line of mourning and sympathizing friends.

Mar. 16, 1882

One of the saddest duties which has devolved upon us to perform for a long time is chronicling the death of Mr. Plumbeck’s five children. It was only a short time since they were all in apparent good health and spirits, but in an unexpected hour that fatal destroyer – diphtheria== made its appearance in the little flock, and one by one they succumbed to its terrible work, until Sunday the last of the family of children closed their eyes to the world forever. Mr. Plumbeck has the sympathy of the entire community in his great calamity.

Eden News

Mr. Snooks people have lost one child by diphtheria; they have the sympathy of all our citizens.

March 23, 1882

Solomon Sugars, of Tallman. Lost his oldest boy by diphtheria, yesterday.

On Tuesday morning, March 21, Mrs. Robert Jones died at the boarding house in Lincoln aged 80 years. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N.Hill at their residence on Wednesday at 10 a.m. The bereaved husband has no family remaining, relatives in this region. He has the sympathy of many friends by whom he and his deceased companion are greatly esteemed.

UP Date March 23, 1882:

About the middle of last November (1881) Sylvester M. Gardner left his home in the Fourth ward in a state of mental depression caused by his many misfortunes and the sickness in his family and was supposed to have committed suicide. His remains were found near to the Danaher & Melendy mill last Saturday. Coroner Shackelton and jury held an inquest. Mr. W.H. Gardner, his brother, took charge of the body and took it to Riverton for burial.

Mr. and Mrs. M. Holmquist have the heartfelt sympathy of a large circle of friends and acquaintances in their great bereavement. On Thursday at half past ten in the morning their little Girl Eve, aged four years and three months, was taken away, and on the day following they lost their youngest, a bright little girl of some 17 months. The funeral took place from the residence, the Rev. S.M. Hill officiating, on Saturday last, and both were buried into one little grave. That fel destroyer diphtheria - together with croup tells the whole story.

On Monday evening last Rev. S.N. Hill held a memorial service for Master Eddie Loucks, aged 14 who recently died of Diphtheria at Tallman, in the new Congregational church. Mr. and Mrs. Loucks have the sympathies of many friends here and at Tallman,. The congregation and choir showed deep interest in the occasion. Eddie was very active in the Sabbath school, and was the secretary at the time of his death. He had for some time felt that he was a Christian and died believing that his salvation was sure.

Joseph Maash of Riverton died of inflammation of the bowels on Monday last and was buried Wednesday. He leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss. He was about 45 Years old.

Eden News

Mrs. Henry Snook died of consumption on Wed, March 15.

March 30, 1882

Tallman News

Mr. Shugar’s child is dead. Was sick only a few days.

The funeral services of Anna, daughter of Mrs. H. Tanner, who died on March 28, will be held on Sabbath morning at the M.E. church in connection with the morning services. The burial took place on Thursday, March 30, from the residence of Mr. James wood on filer St. OB Whitmore, officiating.

Rev. S.N. Hill from Ludington preached the funeral sermon. Of Mr. Louck’s boy on Monday evening although it was stormy and cold there was a good attendance.


We have to mourn the loss of a friend and neighbor in Joseph Molk who departed this life on March 27. He leaves a wife and two children besides a large number of friends. He was a just man in all his dealings, upright and honest in all his business.

April 6, 1882

In Memoriam

Little Anna McMannis whose death was mentioned last week, left a void in the home where her sweet young life was a light and sunshine. We try to be patient, while this scourge, dreadful as Egypt’s plagues desolate our hearthstones. Shall there be dead in every house? Shall no home escape? The sweet child who went out from us into the silent land had gladdened our hearts a few short years and we are thankful for the blessing, yet our stony grief forgets everything but our loss. We can go to her, but she can not return to us. All the days of our appointed time will we wait.

John Gee, who was so well know on this shore as a governmental harbor inspector, was taken with congestion of the lungs on Friday, March 31 and died on Friday Last, at the Clinton House. Mr. Gee was a member of the Royal Arcanum and Consequently leaves a policy of $8000 to his heirs.

Tallman news

We are sorry to say that another of MR. Shugar’s children is dead.

April 20, 1882

Mrs. James Judge lost her little girl by diphtheria this morning. Mr. Judge is in Montana at the present.

Miss Ida Thorne passed through the dark valley last Sunday, her malady being consumption. The funeral services were held in the M.E. Church on Tuesday afternoon, conducted by Rev. O.B. Whitmore. The services were very largely attended by mourners and sympathizing friends. Deceased was born in Milwaukee in 1865. Mr. and Mrs. Thorn have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. It is not a year since their oldest daughter, Mrs. Frankie Share was buried.

Apr. 27, 1882

Mr. and Mrs. P. Mendelson are in sorrow over the loss of their son Samuel, not quite four and a half years old. the boy was successfully brought through an attack of diphtheria by Dr. McConnell and was subsequently afflicted with a disease which baffled the skill of the Milwaukee doctors, to whom he had been taken for treatment. His death occurred on the 18th inst. And the burial took place the following day. He was a bright little boy and his loss is much regretted.

May 4, 1882

On Saturday last, Thomas White 23 years old, was drowned at the head of Lincoln Lake while floating logs. Mr. White was a man o f steady habits and fine abilities, and his untimely end is much lamented. Rev. S.N. Hill preached the funeral sermon and was assisted by Rev. Mr. Wright in the funeral services which were held in the Burr school house.

Victory news

John A. , son of Alfred and Melissa Dow, died March 31, aged seven years one month and twenty days, at Canfield’s headquarter camping Wexford County, MI. A distressing accident was the cause of his death. On the day before while alone in a room his clothes caught fire and before assistance could be given the burns were so deep as to prove fatal. His mother being away on a visit to her parents in and did not see the remains of her child. Occurring so suddenly she did not arrive until two days afterwards.

Mr. Dow took the remains to Victory Corners in Mason county. The funeral sermon was conducted by Elder Younglove in Star School house Victory. The distance was so great that Mr. Dow had to go alone, which was a trying circumstance. While the distressed parents were still mourning, Henry N., their youngest child in about a week afterwards was seized by inflammation of the brain which resulted in his death April 24, aged three years one month and seventeen days. His remains were also taken to Victory by his parents alone and laid beside his brother.

Mr. Dow is a foreman for Mr. Canfield. A year ago he moved his family from their home in Victory to the lumber woods. They reside in a nice dwelling house near the camp and are very much respected and have the entire sympathy of all who know them in their great affliction.

May 11, 1882

On Monday last, Mr. and Mrs. S.L. Parsons of the Fourth ward buried their youngest child, aged 16 months. The disease was pneumonia.

Rev. S.N. Hill wil hold a memorial service at Tallman on the next Monday evening for Mr. and Mrs . Shugar and family, who have buried two children recently from diphtheria. I think they are listed above.

May 18, 1882


Word is that a a family living a little south of Mill’s school house have had two children die off the small pox and that some of the neighbors were in to help take care of them before they knew what it was. The doctor, here visited them, and either did know what it was or was afraid to have the people here know for he said it was the chickenpox. Ludington doctor was sent for and named the disease. Those exposed might as well be in the African desert for all the help they will get from this out.

May 25, 1882


Ethel Reader, infant daughter of G. H. Reader died of lung fever last Tuesday. G.H. Reader and wife desires to return their sincere thanks to the friends who so kindly and patiently visited them during sickness, and sympathizers with them in the loss of their infant daughter.

Mary, the wife of Richard Hatfield died at her home in Pere Marquette township last Monday morning and was buried on Tuesday afternoon. Mrs. Hatfield was a sister to Mrs. Sewell Moulton and daughter of Burr Caswell, who now keeps the lighthouse at Point Sauble, . The deceased lady came to Mason county with her parents about 40 years ago and was consequently one of the oldest settlers. Her age was 46 years. She was buried beside nine of her children leaving five with her husband to mourn her loss. The family is generally known through out the county and much sympathy is expressed for them in their affliction.

June 8, 1882

Diphtheria is somewhat prevalent in Summit township. Joseph Lohner has placed a handsome monument over the grave of his wife. In point of beauty exceeds anything yet in the cemetery. On a solid base is erected four columns surmounted by a cap and octogen urn. Between the columns is a flower vase. The work was done by David Morreau of Grand Rapids and cost about $320.

Samuel Rogers, who was taken sick at Mr. Ford’s boarding house, was carried to the parsonage. His disease proved to be diphtheria and he died May 26th and was buried about two miles from here in a new cemetery near Mr. Perry’s. Mr. Roger’s brother, Thomas and Robert took care of him through his sickness. Another one of the boys, George is now sick with the same disease at the same place.

June 15, 1882

With many regrets we chronicle the death of Joseph Vandervest. He attended to his work yesterday as usual in apparent good health. About three o’clock this morning he commenced to cough violently until his wife became alarmed and went to a neighbor for advice and assistance. Mr. Vandervest died during her absence. He has been a citizen of Ludington for many years and was a civil law-abiding citizen and friendly neighbor and a honest man – the noblest work of God.

Mrs. Diana F. Kesson died on Friday last at her residence on Charles St., aged 65 years. She was for several years a resident of Grand Rapids and has lived in this city in for the last fourteen years. She is the last member of her part of the family. The services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill at her residence.

July 6, 1882

A little daughter, of Mr. and Mrs. Saulsbury’s was buried last Sunday. Rev. B.P. Hewitt conducted the services.

July 13, 1882

Lillian (Lillie), eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas J. Slater, died Saturday, June 10 1882.

Riverton news:

William Albright, Sr. died on Friday, June 30 of dropsy, aged 73. He was born in Sunberry, Northumberland county, PA. July 7, 1809, and had resided in the southern part of this state several years. He came to live with his son, William O. Albright, about two years ago. Deceased had been a member of the M.E. church for over fifty years, but affiliated with the Evangelical church for two years past. His long life has been on of usefulness and respectability. Rev. A.A. Scheurer preached the funeral sermon.

July 20, 1882

Mr. King, living on Charles street buried a child last Sunday afternoon. Rev. Mr. Hewitt conducted the services.

The funeral of Mrs. R.J. Compton took place this afternoon at 2 o’clock. Rev. B.P. Hewitt conducted the services. The deceased lady was but 32 years of age, and leaves a young family of three; one but a few weeks old. A large number of friends of the bereaved family showed their sympathy by following the remains to the cemetery.

On the 9th inst., Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Brown, of the Fourth, buried their son Henry, aged 14 years and 6 months. His sickness was occasioned by skin poison. The services were conducted by the Rev. S.N. Hill at their residence, and were attended by a large gathering of neighbors and friends, who sympathize deeply with the bereaved parents and remaining brother and sister.

Eden News Allen Hannah’s folks are having a relapse of diphtheria. They have lost one child, Robbie, with the second attack. Little Harry was in very critical condition, but has recovered.

Aug. 10, 1882

An infant son of Mr. and Mrs. J.N. Young Died last Tuesday evening.

Aug. 17, 1882

James Hansen’s infant daughter was buried yesterday.

Miss May Cooper died in Chicago last Sunday of rheumatism of the heart. Her remains were brought to Ludington by boat and interred in the city cemetery on Wednesday. Deceased was nineteen years old and will be remembered as a bright intelligent girl. Her parents and friends feel the loss keenly and have the sympathy of all who chanced to be acquainted with them.

Eden News:

Died at the residence of William Genereau, an infant girl of Daniel Hicky, from that dreadful disease, cholera infantum.

Died at the residence of Alexander Depeel, the wife of David Willie. She leaves a little boy about four years old. Mr. Willie has the sympathy of his many warm friends.

Aug. 24, 1882 Nothing

Aug. 31, 1882

Dr. H. F. Felis, who established a hospital on Dowland street, had been suffering from blood poisoning for a considerable time and died last Tuesday.

Robert Hamilton’s daughter, 2 years old, died yesterday Card of Thanks: (Sept. 7, 1882)Editor Record: Please allow us, through the columns of The Record to express our gratitude to the friends who kindness was so welcome during the sickness of our family. We are thankful for the sympathy expressed by friends in the death of our little girl, and grateful that our daughter Emma, under the professional care of Dr. Hinman, has been spared to us. Respectfully, Mr. and Mrs Robert Hamilton

P. Hutts’ child, six month old, died yesterday

Supervisor Rasmussen’s daughter, 6 years old, died yesterday.

Sept. 7, 1882

. Riverton News: Mr. Battis, of Pere Marquette township died on Sunday, Aug. 27, Funeral services on the following day by Rev. A.A. Scheurer at Zion Church, Riverton.

Sept. 15, 1882

No deaths or disease

Sept. 21, 1882

On Saturday night, after the ten o’clock train had gone west; Mr LaSalle, of Weldon Creak, heard moans that he thought must be made by his children. Finding nothing the matter, he went to the door and discovered that the sound came from the direction of the railroad track a few rode away; he divined at once that someone had been injured by the last train.

Search was made by Messer’s LaSalle, Gilding, Neilan and others, who found the injured person to be James Crompton, an Indian. Both of his legs were terribly mangled. The poor fellow had crawled down the steep bank, thirty or forty feet, but the blood – stained ties and rails the mangled limbs, and the partly filled bottle of alcohol told all the sad story of one more human life for a drink.

Fortunately the “Peggy” came along and brought the wounded man to the city: he was taken by Messer’s Gilding and LaSalle to Dr. Short’s office. Amputation of both legs was performed, but the shock had been too great. He died Sunday morning and was buried at his home in Crystal Valley.

Sept. 28, 1882 No deaths

Oct. 5, 1882

Sweetland is to be known hereafter as Scottville; at least that must be the post office address. Amber post office has been discontinued.

Oct. 12, 1882

After a lingering illness of several months duration, Mrs. O.N. Taylor passed from death in to life last Saturday morning, Oct. 7. The news of her death was received by the community with many expressions of sorrow and of condolence for the bereaved family.

Mrs. Taylor was a native of Tennessee, born in the year 1847, had been a resident of Grand Rapids for several years and has resided in this city since 1873, during which time Mr. O.N. Taylor has been interested in the manufacture of lumber here.

The deceased lady has been for years closely identified with the work of reclaiming the more unfortunate portion of humanity, and was one of the foremost workers in the cause of temperance and religion. Many a family today can recall the times in season and out of season when Mrs. Taylor took upon herself the task of visiting them in their sickness and distress, and the kindly sympathetic way in which she administered to their wants and provided for their much needed creature comforts. She possessed a nobleness of character, largely made up of the milk of human kindness for which a sorrowing and appreciative community will long cherish her memory. Her counsel and assistance in works and measure will be sadly missed.

Funeral services were held at the family residence on Monday morning; rev. R.M. Keys addressed the sorrowing company, after which the funeral services of the order of the Knights and Ladies of Honor were read. Music appropriate to the sad occasion was beautifully rendered by the choir from the Presbyterian church.

At the conclusion of the services the remains were taken to t he depot in care of the above order of which she was a member, followed by a long cortege of sympathizing friends and from there forwarded to Grand Rapids for burial. Her husband, a son and daughter are left to mourn a loss tha can never be replaced. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.

Died, in Chicago, last Tuesday, at the residence of her sister, Miss Fidelia Rice aged 18 years and 6 months after a lingering sickness caused by spinal meningitis. Deceased was the daughter of Mrs. Oren Rice of Amber. The family are widely known throughout the country and much sympathized with. Mrs. Rice wishes through the columns of the Record to express her appreciation of and gratitude for the many kindnesses extended to herself and family by numerous friends in both city and county, during the lingering illness of her daughter.

Oct. 19, 1882

A little son of Mr. Green of the fourth ward died of diphtheria last Monday.

Oct. 26, 1882

Gone! How sad that word sometimes sounds. As we enquired of Dr. May in regard to our old friend Truman R. Crandall, who had been sick for a short time, he answered ‘Gone.” Yes! One more gone to the other shore who had ever been ready to lead a helping hand to the needy. One more gone who will be missed by many who loved and respected the man for his candor, honesty and warm hearted friendship. Gone from the teachers ranks, where spent upwards of forty years with almost unparalleled success.

Gone! After having spent sixty – three years in this world; and frank deep form the cup of sorrow; and we hope gone to meet that class of his scholars of which he spoke of waiting for him on the other shore, not to meet again as teacher and pupils; but as classmates under the Great Instructor, where the mind may, unfettered by the ties which bind it on earth, search the depths of knowledge and wisdom, through a boundless eternity. The funeral services were held at Zion church, Riverton by Rev. A.A. Scheurer, on Friday Oct. 8th.

Nov. 2, 1882

On Friday last Mr. and Mrs. Beckman, of Summit, buried their youngest child of twenty months . The disease was Cholera Infantum. Rev. S.N. Hill conducted the services.

Scottville news

We have that fatal disease diphtheria among us once more; several families have been contending against it, and at this writing only one case has proved fatal, that of Miss Cora Barnes aged about 14 years Mr. and Mrs. Barnes have the sympathy of the entire community in their great loss, as it leaves them with only one child a few years younger than Cora. Dr. Thomas the attending physician had no hopes for her recover from the first appearance of the disease.

Nov. 9, 1882

A child of Mr. Douglass died at Sweetland, on Thursday of last week of diphtheria; also a child of Mr. G. Andrews, died of the same disease on the first of last month

Mr. and Mrs. J.L. Jones, of Sweetland, desire to express their gratitude to friends and neighbors for services rendered during the fatal sickness of their daughter, Nettie Fay. They are especially indebted to Mrs. Rice and Dr. Kibby of Custer.

Last Monday, Mrs Burgland died at her home in Fourth ward after an illness of several weeks duration. Mr. Burgland is left with five little ones the oldest (only eight years old) In the absence of a minister who could speak the Swedish language, the services were conducted by Mr. Magnusen.

Mr. Gebhardt’s family of eight have all been down with diphtheria and one little girl (Henrietta) about 3 years of age died last Sunday. The others are considered out of danger with the exception of two who are still in critical condition. The health officers that there have been but four additional cases reported besides Mr. Gebhardt’s family. The faculty agree that the disease s is well under control and not likely to become wide spread.

Nov. 16, 1882

Mrs. Henry Hunt died on Friday evening at her residence in the First ward. Deceased was but 17 years of age and was married at her home in Charlotte about a year ago.

John Lowe, aged 40 , died at his residence last Saturday morning and was buried on Monday. Mr. Lowe had made this city his home for many years and was well know as a man of great industry. As a member of the Royal Arcanum he leaves a policy for $3000 to his bereaved family. Mr. W.H. Williams is the executor of his estate.

Nov. 23, 1882

On the after noon of Nov 22, James H. Hall while walking along the beach found a bottle tightly corked to all appearance just landed by the waves. It contained a card on which was written with a lead pencil, evidently in haste, “Oct. 10, 81. Lost at sea this day; Evans, Burgess, and Hett.” The last name was not plainly written.

On Monday night, after a short illness and much suffering, Mrs. Mary Latimer, wife of Dr. F. N. Latimer, died at her home in this city. A short service was held at her house Tuesday morning and the remains were taken to Big Rapids for burial. The decreased was a most estimable woman. Coming here ore year ago a bride and a stranger, she won the respect and affection of a select circle of choice friends, who mourn deeply the untimely call of the grim messenger. Mrs. Latimer was a worthy member of the congregational church in this city, and passed to rest in unswerving trust and faith in bright immortality. To the bereaved husband whose poignant grief excites the deepest sympathy a wide circle of friends tender unfeigned commiseration

Mr. J.A. Gebhardt and family are again severely afflicted by the death of their oldest (Johnnie)son. The fearful disease that has suddenly bereaved many families of their dear children has also afflicted the family of Mr. Gebhardt. Seven of their children were two weeks ago suffering with it at the same time. Two have died.

On the fifth inst. Little Henrietta, aged 4 years, died very suddenly. Miss Ida was for several days in very critical condition, but has nearly recovered. Also the younger children. But master Johnnie continued to decline in resistance to the most skillful efforts and car. He died on the evening of the 16th inst. Even while prayers were at his request being offered in prayer meeting for him. Johnnie was about 16 years of age. His habits were manly, intelligent and industrious.

He was greatly interested in the Sabbath school and in religious reading. When he felt that he must go, he expressed his trust in the Lord, his savior, leaving the evidence of a work of grace in his heart, and that he has entered his heavenly rest. When the youth are called away we must believe that God’s purposes are wise and good. The boys of Sabbath School and class of which he was a member are admonished to be ready for the Master. Four members of his class have died. The family have the prayerful sympathy of their many friends here and elsewhere.

Nov. 30, 1882

J.D. Smedley’s child, seven months old died, last Tuesday, at his home in Victory.

Mason County’s oldest white settler Burr Caswell , has emigrated to Dakota and will purchase the “Milwaukee House, Mitchell, Dakota. He settled in this county in 1848.

Another tragedy had its consummation last night in the death of Geo. W. Hall, an Indian,. He was sitting on the track about two miles east of Custer last Tuesday night when the incoming late train struck him on the left shoulder besides injuring him internally.

The train stopped as soon as possible, and returned in search of the unfortunate man, before reaching him however another Indian was found in the ditch, but slightly injured, and under the influence of liquor. The two men were picked up and brought to the city. Mr. Hall was taken to the Clinton House and died there last night. He has been a regular subscriber to the Record for several years past and was intelligent and well – informed. An empty bottle found in his pocket, and the stage of his companion leaves no doubt as to the agency which brought him to such an untimely end. A jury will be impaneled this morning and a verdict rendered in accordance with the facts.

A little daughter of Jeff Davis, aged ten years, died last Friday. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. L. Curtiss, last Sunday.

About 3 a.m. Friday morning the schooner J.O. Moss was seen by patrolman Stillson of Point Sauble station to be at anchor about four miles to the north ward. He returned to the station and reported the fact to the Capt. Morgan whose opinion was that no vessel could outride such a storm. The crew left the station to look out for further developments and saw the schooner drive ashore. The crew at once got the landing apparatus in readiness after sending word to Hamlin to telephone to the city for a team.

Patrolman Stillson was left to watch the wreck and render any assistance he could until the men could return with the apparatus for landing the crew. The crew on the vessel made a line fast to their boat and one man got into it but was thrown out by the surf, yet he succeeded in reaching shore, assisted to land by Stillson. Another crew thought to work himself ashore by means of the line attached to the boat, but lost his life. The body has not yet been recovered.

When the lifesaving crew reached the beach opposite the vessel he line attached to the boat was used by the crew to board the wreck to haul out the whip line, which was made fast to the mast near the deck. It should have been made fast aloft to keep the men above the waves while in transit by what is known as the breeches bony, but the crew were unable to climb aloft. They were all safe landed but had to undergo unpleasant experience being dipped in to the lake and elevated again as the vessel rolled to and from the shore.

As usual in such cases those on shore made a fire to which each one was taken and by the aid of stimulants revived as much as possible. In all cases the men were in an exhausted condition and must soon have perished but for this timely assistance. They were brought along with the life saving apparatus towards the station. When still some instance. The light house keeper met them and informed Capt. Morgan that two hunters had left word that nine miles to the nor another vessel was on beach and the crew clinging to the rigging.

Capt. Morgan at once turned back and commenced a laborious march over sand hills and driftwood along the beach and reaching the point indicated at 8 p.m. to find the Eclipse ashore with five men in the rigging and another of their number lying dead on the beach having attempted to come ashore on a piece of wreck. The hunters who had given the alarm had retraced their steps and built a huge fire and were waiting to render any assistance they could.

The efficiency of Capt. Morgan’s crew is demonstrated by the fact that in one hour the five men were all saved. It was midnight when they reached the station and the survivors tasted food for the first time in thirty hours.

The life saving crew had gone over thirty four miles of ground, a portion of which had to be cleared of drift timber to enable the team to pass. They succeeded in saving ten lives in spite of a chilling gale. No ordinary language can do justice to such brave work.

The action of Captains Morgan and Brown and their respective crews ought not be pass unnoticed.

Since the above was put in type we learn that the lost man was named Barney McDonald. He was a mate of the vessel. The captain speaks of him as follows; Poor McDonald was a good navigator and a brave sailor, and we all sincerely mourn his death.

The Wind and the sea were terrible, and it was freezing cold. Barney like the rest of us had been exposed for hours before he attempted to go ashore on the line, and he over estimated his strength in that fearful surf. He thought he could reach the land he could aid in rescuing the rest of us and he really died for us- gave up his life like the hero he really was. God bless – poor Barney, and comfort his family.

Dec. 7, 1882

The loss of the R.G. Peters with all hands (14) I in number has cast a gloom over Manistee, where they all lived with the exception of the mate whose home was in Milwaukee.

Mr. and Mrs. D. M. Barnes beg leave to thank the people of this village and other L.O. of G.T. through the columns of the Record for their kindness and sympathy in the memorial services of their daughter Cora also thanks to Rev. C.E. Mitchell for his able sermon last Sabbath.

Dec. 14, 1882

Grant News

L.G. Pitman, after being confined to his bed one day; died on the 1st inst. Aged 78 years. Mr. Pitman was one of the oldest residents of Grant and owner of one of the finest farms. He leaves a wife and two grandchildren. This is the first internment in the new burying ground of Grant.


Copyright 1998-2014 All Rights Reserved

This site and affiliated Projects make no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted. Please remember that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.

Note to researchers, I do not maintain information on families outside of my own at this time, Your best chance to contact other family researchers and find information is going to be in posting some of your family information on the Mason County Boards. Volunteers and lookup materials can be found in the "lookups" category. -I routinely check the postings if I have information or can steer you in another direction I will contact you. I do not provide research services. Historic White Pine Village can help you in that area.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See; http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY".

It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website using the following http://www.ludingtonmichigan.net Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information. Every effort has been made to insure the information found here is accurate, you are however encouraged to check the primary source for accuracy as mistakes are made by all of us.Mail to: Dave Petersen