Welcome to Great Lakes History Companion, Home Page Mason County,and Ludington Michigan Area History and Genealogy


Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information?



Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information? Mail to: Dave Petersen




Ludington Record 1883

Jan. 11, 1883

Mr. James VanSickle, of Riverton will place a handsome monument over the grave of his wife as soon as H.B. Caswell of this city can furnish it.

Patrick C.Eastman died at at his home last Saturday of Bronchial consumption at the early age of 33. Mr. Eastman has been foreman of the Cartier & Filer mill for some years past and was widely known and much respected among mill men generally. He was a son of Mr. Peter Eastman of Sherman township and leaves a wife to mourn his loss. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Father Dempsey at the Catholic Church last Monday and were attended by an unusually large encourse of friends and sympathizers.

In Custer, an infant child of Mrs. James Allen, who recently moved here from Hart, died last Tuesday. We did not learn of the nature of the disease.

Ross Stone, aged ten years, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stone died from the effects of a severe cold on Wednesday of last week. She was taken sick the Sunday previous, and her sudden death is a severe blow to her bereaved parents. They have the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement.

Jan. 18, 1883

An old lady named Mrs. Perkins upwards of 70 years old, a resident of Summit township fell down stairs last Friday and died about two hours after the accident.

Jan. 25, 1883

No more Diphtheria in Custer

Feb. 1, 1883

Diphtheria is said to be prevalent in Amber. Mrs. D. Seavey, who has been afflicted with dropsy for the past six months, died Wednesday at her home across the little lake.

Lilly Holcomb aged 12 years daughter of C. E. Holcomb, died of diphtheria this week at the residence of her grandmother, Mrs. Knox of Amber.

William Barnhart, one of our pioneers, died at his home in Victory, on Friday morning last, after a long period of suffering and illness. He had been a resident of this county nearly twenty years. The deceased was 63 years old at the time of his death. From his boyhood home in Canada he came to Muskegon county with a party of canal estimators.

When his term with them closed he settled at the head of White Lake where he lived for several years and married a daughter of the forest, with who he lived until death called him away, she survives. Since his residence here he has held office of County surveyor two terms. In the spring of 1868 he was elected supervisor of Victory and was again in 1869. He discharged the duties of his office creditably to himself and in a manner satisfactory to his constituents. His life was unassuming and modest; honest and worthy. Ready and forward in the discharge of each duty. He was a true pioneer one among a now small number, yearly growing smaller.

Feb. 8, 1883

There are quite a number of cases of whooping cough about town.

Feb. 15, 1883

A four months old child of Christ Nelson died yesterday morning after a short illness.

This community will be pained to hear of the death of Arthur butler last night at the age of 22 years. Serving for some years in the Post Office of this city, his intelligence, civility and gentleness of manner and won for him a host of friends and caused him to be one of the widest known young in the country., for the past six months he has been unable to leave his home and has been gradually sinking under the infliction of consumption.

On Wednesday he was feeling much better than usual and talked of taking a trip to Dakota sometime in May. He slept from 11 P.N. till after midnight when he awoke and told his mother that he was bleeding at the lungs. In less than two minutes he had passed through the dark valley. His death took place at the residence of Wm. Snell opposite the Catholic Church. His death creates much sorrow in the family, and a wide spread sympathy for them in their bereavement. Funeral services will be held at the M.E. Church tomorrow at 2 p.m. Rev. Wm. Hansom taking charge.

Feb. 22, 1883

William Cameron died last Saturday from typhoid pneumonia. He has been sick some time ago and was getting well but ventured out too soon in search of employment. He leaves a wife and three small children. Mr. Cameron was born in Scotland and was about 35 years of age; was industrious, frugal and honest. He was a member of the Knights of Labor, and was respected by the men with whom he associated. Rev. Mr. Hill conducted the funeral services which were to be held at the Presbyterian church, Monday Afternoon.

On Friday last, Salena, wife of Wallace Noble, died of consumption of the bowels, at the age of 33 years and 4 months. Deceased lady leaves a husband and one child, a little girl of five years, to mourn her loss. She was a member of the M.E. church her; was a consistent and well disposed in here daily life, and has left an impression or good on all who had become acquainted with her. The funeral services were conducted on Sunday afternoon by Rev. W. Hanson. The church was well filled and the fitting and well chosen remarks of the pastor met with a very sympathetic response.

March 1, 1883

Eden news : Mr. Atwood Ordway died at Hair’s camp on the 18th ult, the boys in camp turned out manfully to the funeral after which they returned again to camp and concluded to make a trip to the river while they were loading a skid from around striking one of them in the head crushing it in, death was almost instantaneous. We have been unable to gain the particulars or the man’s name, it is reported that he had just cautioned his brother lest he should get hurt when the next instant he was struck dead.

Obituary ( From March 15, 1883 paper)

It is with feelings of sadness that we record the death of our much esteemed citizen and friend Mr. Atwood Ordway, who departed this life on Feb. 18th P.M. Mr. Ordway was a young man of only twenty eight summers; a native of Maine and but recently established himself amongst us, but by his kind, gentle disposition and straight-forward manliness he made warm friends of all he met., but the fell destroyer laid his ruthless hand upon him and he is no more.

He leaves a wife and two little ones to mourn his untimely end, also his aged father and mother and one brother here. Each heart beats in sympathy with the bereaved ones, but man’s warmest sympathies are but as dew upon the morning grass, they cannot bring back the departed one neither fill the aching void in the sad hearts that justly mourn and we can only commend them to the friend of the stricken ones. May ‘his grace be sufficient for you.’

Atwood Ordway, an employee in John Hair’s camp, in Eden township died of quick consumption last Thursday and was buried the following day. He leaves a wife and two children. The funeral was attended by the men who were employed in the camp. After their return three brothers named Lowing were put to loading a sleigh with logs. The last log pressed between the two under it throwing one of the skids with such force as to crush the skull of the one named Benton. He was killed instantly. The remains were taken to Grand Rapids.

March 15, 1883 No deaths reported

March 8, 1883

Thomas, three days old son of Mr. And Mrs. H.E Symonds died at Scottville yesterday of lung trouble. He was buried today. March 14, updade :We wish to correct the statements in regard to the age of Mr. and Mrs. H.E. Symonds little son who died March 8, aged thirteen days

March 22, 1883 Grant News

Died, Feb. 28, little Mina Gordon, only child of Newbury Gordon, aged 4 years. Mourn not dar parents for we are like the green leaves which can not always stay green but must fade.

At Victory last Saturday, John Arnold lost a little girl 3 years old by measles. The family of John L. Arnold is now mourning the loss of their daughter Nettie, died March 17, and at this writing a son is not expected to live. These deaths and many more are from measles in their most malignant form.

It is with regret that we are called upon to record the death of Milton Howe who departed this life March 12. He was respected by all who know him and will be a great loss to his mother and tyo young brothers who are scarcely abel to do work enough to support them.

Mr. M. Fraidenburg, a resident of the Claybanks, died of typhoid fever Wednesday.

March 29, 1883

Charles and Mrs. Schwass, of Riverton, lost their little boy by Cholera infantum last Saturday.

April 5, 1883

A sad accident occurred last Monday at the Depot. Mr. Grant, an employee on the trains running between here and Manistee was attending to the couplings between the engine and a car. He signaled with his hand for the engine to push the train on to a switch but had his foot caught between two converging rails and was killed by the engine passing partly over him before it could be stopped. One limb was badly cut and his chest was crushed.

The engine could not be moved without mangling the body, and was jacked up to allow him to be extricated. He lived on Ludington Ave. near Washington, and leaves a wife in feeble health to mourn his loss. Mr. Grant was 39 years old, of very steady habits and regarded as a thoroughly reliable man. He was a member of the St. Bernard Commandry Knights Templar, at East Saginaw. The Apollo Commandry assembled yesterday morning and after having a short service, conducted by Rev. R. M. Keys, at the residence., attended the remains to the depot. Sir Knights F. P. Dunwel, D.V. Samuels, H.H. Foster, and Geo A. Wyantt accompanied the remains to East Saginaw.


Mr. James Chinnery, whose death occurred on Sunday, was one of the few of those remaining among us, who were the real pioneers; he came to this county, then a wilderness, when to clear up a farm in tis far country was a serious thing. Mr. Chinnery, with his family, came to Mason County in a wagon over twenty years ago; he has been a resident of Amber since that time, and during those years he has established a home for himself and family here, never forgetting to be fitted for the mansions prepared for him as he believed from the foundation of the world.

He was 77 years of age; though for years he had been past all active labor he was stirring in his attendance to life’s duties until a short time before his death. A good citizen an honest man, a consistent Christian has gone to his reward. /The funeral services were conducted by the Rev. Hansom, of this city, at the Rickey school house, on Friday; the house was crowded with the friends and neighbors of the deceased. April 12, 1883

Mr. Carlson of the fourth ward buried his little boy on Tuesday last. The funeral was largely attended.

Mr. James Ennis died this morning before 5 o’clock at his residence. He has been in poor health for some time.

Eden: Mr. and Mrs. Allen Hannah’s son, Charles , died, March 28 of dysentery.

April 19, 1883

To Mr. and Mrs. Archie Hunter, twins last Saturday. The boy has died.

April 26, 1883

Weldon Creek

Died Mr. Connors about 70 years of age. He was buried in the Catholic burying ground at Ludington, on Saturday, April 15, … On last Sabbath afternoon Mr. and Mrs Stephen A. Tint buried their infant daughter Mabel. The service ws conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill. Mr. Tint is a favorite clerk at the Filer House.

May 3, 1883 Clay Banks

Richard Stevens better known as “uncle Dick” died of lung fever of the lung on the 22 inst. he was cared for by his neighbors to the last. He was a good citizen. Honest , industrious and frugal, his loss is felt in the community.

May 10, 1883 Deaths

On Saturday last, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Tupper on the third ward, buried their little son, Noyse, aged nine months. He suffered severely for several weeks with spinal inflammations.

Mr. and Mrs William Hackett, of Amber on Saturday last, buried their youngest child, Darius, aged four months. The services were conducted by the REV. SB. Hill at the Rickey School house.

On Monday last, Mr. Johnson of the county home was buried. He was a feeble but good man.

On Monday last, little Anna Maria, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Finley, died aged two months. Their residence is across the little lake.

Little Arthur, aged 14 months, son of Rev O. B. Whittmore, died at Petoskey, April 22. The funeral was largely attended and floral attributes were numerous.

May 17, 1883 No deaths reported

May 31, 1883

Mrs. Elvira Olney, aged 71 died last Tuesday morning of paralysis, at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. D. W. Goodenough, after an illness of some months. The funeral sermon was preached Wednesday morning, at the residence by Rev. Wm Hansom who was assisted in conducting the services by Rev. S.F. Hill. Some fine music was rendered by the congregational choir. After the service the remains were followed to the depot by a large concourse of friends of the family; and were sent by the 11:30 train to Keelersville, VanBuren county for interment. Mr. and Mrs Goodenough and family accompanied the remains. The deceased was a consistent member of the M.E. Church, and a constant attendant until the tim when old age and poor health prevented.

June 7, 1883

In 1850 Mason County had 93 inhabitants; in 1860 three were 831; in 1870 there were 3,206; in 1880 there were 10,065. The census gave 5, 659 males and 4,408 females.

Mrs. Thomas Sister, of this city, died, May 31st 1883, of remittent fever following measles, aged 35 years. She was born in Wesley, Maine Feb. 1848. Her maiden name was Sarah C. Sprague. She received a good common education, and enjoyed the early culture of a thorough Christian mother. She was converted at the age of 19, joined the congregational church, taught the Sabbath school and has continued to grow in her Christian experience. She has with her husband, been a member of the Presbyterian church, in this city for the past eight and deeply interested in its spiritual growth. She was married to Mr. Sister at Biddeford, Maine, Dec. 18, 1868.

The family have resided her for the past ten years. In her home she has been a strict example for affection, honor, industry, and piety; training her children by the gospel. The death of her Christian daughter, Lillian, one year ago, has been a discipline of watchfulness for the call of the number now so sudden. The remaining family are the bereaved husband, one daughter of eleven years, and one son of nine years. The funeral services were held at the family residence in the Second ward, on Saturday June 2, conducted by the pastor and attended by a large circle of friends, who sympathize deeply with the afflicted family.

Several months back, Scottville was changed to Mason Center.

July 5, 1883

Mr. Albert Craft, a prosperous farmer with a large family residing in Victory, was buried on the 3rd last. The services were conducted by Rev. S. N. Hill at the Victory school house.

Wm. Osborn discovered three dead bodies on the beach a few miles north of Big Point Sauble Wednesday Morning and reported it at the life saving station. They sent word to Coroner Shackleton who took the undertaker along with him this morning. IT is reported the following week to be only one!

July 12, 1883

Mason P. Winters, one of the oldest settlers of Riverton died in this city last Monday at the age of 59 years after a lingering illness caused by a disease of the bony system, which finds no parallel case in the medical works in use. A post mortem examination revealed this fact. Deceased had been a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity and was buried by that organization in the cemetery at Riverton. Rev. Mr. Hansom preaching the funeral sermons.

Cousin & Hogstrats shingle mill, three miles north from Custer was the scene of a dire calamity this morning about 11 o’clock. The boilers exploded with a terrific force shattering the mil into fragments.

The report is that the two fireman are fatally injured and three boys who were packing shingles severely hurt. No one has a correct idea of the cause of the explosion but its force may be judged from the fact that scarcely a person about the mill was recognizable, by their horror stricken friends, who rushed to the scene immediately after hearing the sound. Very few employees escaped some injury.

Many had their entire clothing torn off, and everyone in and about the mill were more or less bruised. A telegram was promptly sent to Dr. McConnel who went by the 11:30 train to the scene of the action Later John McIntosh has died.

The boiler was built in Meadsville, PA. Last Apri and had been well tested before shipping. Mr. Mallory, the forman of the mill days that less than one minute before the explosion there were two gauges of water. When the explosion took place he was gumming a saw a few feet distant. How he escaped death is miraculous.

UPDATE( July 19th ): Two of the victims of the late boiler explosion at Custer , Timothy and Patrick Doyle were brothers aged respectively 21 and 15. They died last Friday, following the accident and their remains were brought to the city and interred in the catholic cemetery last Sunday. Their father resides in the city and has the sympathy of all who know him in his now lonely old age

July 19, 1883

A man named Sprague, working at Stearns camp, was caught between two saw-logs last Wednesday and crushed so that he died in eleven hours. He leaves a wife and two children.

. July 26, 1883

Mrs. John Donaldson, a resident of the Claybanks died on Monday last.

Last Saturday morning as the F.&P.M. No 2 was leaving the elevator, a dock hand named John VonToBell fell overboard and was drowned. For several hours afterwards the Life Saving crew were engaged in searching for the body with out success. It was discovered this morning by Captain Carter under the quarter of the steambarge M.F. Butters as she lay at the R. R. dock loading.

Aug. 2, 1883

Ada Violet, aged 16 months and 15 days, youngest daughter of Mrs. Lowe died of scarlet fever last Monday.

Aug. 8, 1883

A Mrs. Welder, but a few weeks form Germany, died at the residence of her son in the Fourth Ward, last Thursday and was buried the following day.

James Adams, a middle aged man was found dead not far from Judge Wheeler’s residence Tuesday evening about 7 o’clock. The unfortunate man had worked a good deal in the lumber woods and on Muskegon river and was therefore known to some who reside here. He had been drinking some recently and was hanging around different places in the city until after six that night when he wandered to the place where he died. The jury found no marks of violence about his person and brought in a verdict of ‘Died from some unknown cause.’ The remains were taken to Undertaker Holmquist’s rooms and prepared for burial.

August 16, 1883

Died, in the township of Eden, Hiram C. Barnes in the 48th year of his age. Formerly of Olivet, Mich. Mr. Barnes was an honored and respected citizen. He held various official positions in church and township, and will be greatly missed by all. He at one time was one of the trustees of Olivet College. He married for his first wife an adopted daughter of Hon. S.F. Drury the founder of Drury College, Springfield Missouri. He leaves a wife and one son about 20 years of age. The township loses a valuable citizen, the church a consecrated Christian, the Sunday School a faithful zealous superintendent, a good neighbor, and a friend to all in need.

Died: Carrie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bond, Aug. 7 and was buried on the 9th, aged 1 year and 10 months. The funeral was a large one considering the hurried times. This is the second one taken from Mr. Bond’s young family; she was followed to her last resting place by sad hearts.

Aug. 23, 1886

Typhoid is troubling Custer. No deaths as yet.

Aug. 30, 1883

On last Saturday, Afternoon Mr. and Mrs. Henry Vogle, buried their only daughter, Minnie, aged two years.

Sept. 6, 1883 Summit News

The remains of Mrs. H.E. Stone were buried in the Summit cemetery last Saturday, Rev. S.N. Hill conducting the services. Mrs. Stone was once a resident of this place, and was respected by all who knew her. She leaves four children to mourn her loss.

The Funeral of Jeremiah F. Phillips (who died of apoplexy) took place from the family residence in Pere Marquette on Tuesday of this week at 10 o’clock a.m. the services were conducted by Rev. Wm. Hansom, assisted by the Rev. S.N. Hill. The sermon by Mr. Hansom was a most forcible and eloquent effort. The floral offerings were very beautiful. Mr. Phillips was buried in the cemetery near the resident where he has lived for thirty years (Phillips Cemetery) .

The community has lost a valuable citizen the family its head. Few men have as few enemies and so many friend s. Mr. Philips was universally respected and was known as the oldest settler in the county having located in 1849. He was born in 1814, and was a native of Rensselael, N.Y. Mrs . Doreska Hull now living in East Riverton is the only surviving child. Update (Sept. 13):

The community will be pained to hear of the death of Jeremiah F. Phillips in the 69th year of his age. He died after a short illness (busted vein – Apoplexy), at his home in Pere Marquette township. Sept. 2nd at 8 p.m. the funeral services were held the following Tuesday. Rev. Wm. Hansom officiating, assisted by Rev. S.N. Hill. He was widely known as being among the firtst setters in Mason County, moving here in 1849, and into this township in 1856 where he lived until removed, we trust into the rest prepared for the children of God. He was a member of the M.E. church for over 50 years. His bereaved family have the sympathy of a large circle of friends.

Sept. 13, 1883 Clay Banks news

Casper Kerr’s father died Aug. 30 in his 89th year. He was a native of Denmark and has been in this country about a year. His remains were buried at Pentwater.

Sept. 20, 1883

An unknown man, apparently 50 years old, was engaged on the Lake County logging road last Monday, giving his name as John McDougall. On Tuesday afternoon about 3 -.m. he was killed by a passing log train while carrying a pail of water near the track. The remains were brought to the city and left with underrtaker Holmquest for burial.

Little Gracie G. Jellison, aged 7 years and 11 months, died of dropsy of the heart last Sunday morning and was buried on Tuesday. The little sufferer had been ailing for several months. Rev. S.N. Hill conducted the services at the family residence. The remains were followed to the grave by an unusually large number of sympathetic friends, Mr. and Mrs. Allen desire to express their gratitude to the friends who were so ready at all times to give their aid and sympathy during the time of her sickness and at the sad rites in connection with her burial.

Sept. 27, 1883

Mary Ellen, aged 1 year and 2 days, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Williams, died last Friday and was buried the following day. Rev. S.N. Hill conducting the funeral services. Many of the neighbors, and members of the G.A.R.(of whom Mr. Williams is one) were present.

Oct. 4, 1883 No deaths or epidemics

Oct. 11, 1883

Andrew E. L. Hansen, aged 24 years , 10 months died last Friday of typhoid fever, after a sickness of about 8 weeks. Deceased was a native of Denmark and had been in this country five years. Two brothers are living here: Ole Hanson, engineer for the Roby Lumber Co., and a younger one who came here a few weeks ago. The funeral services were held at the M.E. church on Sunday Morning. The Odd Fellows, Knights of Labor and Danish Aid Societies, of which he was a member, were in attendance in large numbers. The church was crowded, and many who could not gain admittance waited out doors and joined the procession that afterwards accompanied the remains to the grave. It was one of the largest funeral processions ever formed in this city.

Ed Shay died at Gun Lake yesterday morning. He has friends at Janesville, Wis., who have been notified of his death.

Oct. 18, 1883 No deaths

Mention was made in the last Record of the death of Ed. Shay, whose parents were supposed to reside in Janesville, Wisconsin. An account of the final disposition of the remains will be of interest to the men who were acquainted with him. It is taken from the Janesville Daily Record.

Mr. M. Holmqist, an undertaker of Ludington, Mich, arrived in the city last evening by way of Milwaukee, having in charge the remains of the late Mr. Ed. Shay, of whom reference was made in yesterday morning’s Recorder. He expected to find Shay’s mother and brother in the city, but on inquiry it was learned that both had been dead for some time, the latter dying in Milwaukee about a year ago. Mr. Fitzgerald a cousin of the deceased, resided in Beloit, and yesterday he was notified and yesterday he was notified of his relative’s death and he immediately left for Michigan to take charge of the body, not knowing that it was then on the way to this city.

Mr. Holmquist communicated with parties in Beloit by telephone, and an attempt was made to reach Mr. Fitzgerald in Milwaukee before he took the boat, but at last accounts all efforts were unsuccessful. Mr. Holmquist will there leave on the 7:05 train this morning f or Beloit taking the remains to that city where they will probably be interred on the arrival of Mr. Fitzgerald. The deceased had resided in Ludington for the past ten or twelve years and was employed in the lumber camps and was a great favorite with his companions, who guarantee the expense of his transportation and burial providing his friends were not found.

A day or two previous to his death Shay told some of his friends that his mother and brother resided here, the sad news of their death having never been revealed to him. It is said that another brother is living somewhere in the west, his exact location being unknown. There is a house and lot of River street in the fourth ward belonging to the estae which has been in charge of Mr. James Kemmett, the blacksmith.

Oct. 25, 1883 No deaths

Nov. 1, 1883

Mr. Samuel Hull, of East Riverton, died last Friday at the age of 73. He settled in Mason County twenty-two years ago and has been a good citizen. He will be more widely known perhaps , as the father of Myron D. Hull, on of the most substantial men of the township. The funeral took place on Sunday last, the remains being interred at the Riverton Cemetery. Rev. Thomas Young conducted the funeral services. A large number of families from that and the surrounding townships attended the funeral.

Nov. 8, 1883 No deaths

Nov. 15, 1888 No Deaths

Dec. 6, 1883 No deaths

Dec. 13, 1883 At Hamlin on Monday, the 10th last. , Minnie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Oakley, aged 7 years was buried. Services by Rev. S.N. Hill

Dec. 20 no deaths

Dec. 27, 1883

Phillip Keiser, a Pennsylvanian who, has been engaged chopping wood at Custer, for some time past was run over by the cars on the bridge just east of Custer, this Thursday morning and cut into an unrecognizable mass. An inquest has been held under Squire J. C. Tracy and a verdict rendered in accordance with the facts .

After an illness of but three or four days, Valentine Yockey, an old resident of this city, died at his home in the Fourth Ward. The funeral took place on Monday. After a short service by Rev. S.N. Hill, the masonic fraternity of which he was a member took possession and held burial services according to the ritual of the society. The Masonic and German Aid Societies followed the remains to the cemetery.


Copyright 1998-2014 All Rights Reserved

This site and affiliated Projects make no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted. Please remember that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.

Note to researchers, I do not maintain information on families outside of my own at this time, Your best chance to contact other family researchers and find information is going to be in posting some of your family information on the Mason County Boards. Volunteers and lookup materials can be found in the "lookups" category. -I routinely check the postings if I have information or can steer you in another direction I will contact you. I do not provide research services. Historic White Pine Village can help you in that area.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See; http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY".

It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website using the following http://www.ludingtonmichigan.net Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information. Every effort has been made to insure the information found here is accurate, you are however encouraged to check the primary source for accuracy as mistakes are made by all of us.Mail to: Dave Petersen