Welcome to Great Lakes History Companion, Home Page Mason County,and Ludington Michigan Area History and Genealogy


Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information?



Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information? Mail to: Dave Petersen




1886 Ludington Record

Jan 14, 1886

Mrs. D.T. Huston’s mother, Mrs. Steward died last Sunday a the advanced age of 83 years. The funeral services were conducted a the family residence by Revs. Keyes, and Hill last Tuesday afternoon.

Mr. Jesse B. Hathaway, of Victory, died of consumption on the 10th inst., aged 54 year ,and was buried from the family residence on Tuesday last, the services being conducted by his pastor, Rev. S.M. Hill he being a member of the Ludington Presbyterian church. He has resided in Victory most of the time since he discharge from the Union Army, being highly respected by a large acquaintance, both as a citizen and a Christian. The widow and his two sons will remain upon the farm. His last testimony was a happy triumph of the Christian faith.

Jan. 21, 1886

Last Friday afternoon a telegram was received stating that Mr. William Cohen, (who left the area for health reasons), of New York dry goods store (In Ludington), was dead and that the store was to be closed at once. It will be remembered that Mr. Cohen has been a sufferer for a long time but more particularly during the past few months

. The sudden death of Mr. S. W. Newson, late of Manistee, but recently employed at Butters & Peters mills across the harbor, has caused more than the usual amount of interest in such cases, owing to the fact that a report of malpractice has been circulated; a report however, that has not been verified by the autopsy requested by Dr. Graham and ordered by the Jury. Mr. Newson was a widower, 42 years old of respectable appearance, but of very nervous temperament. It appears that for some time he had been suffering from nervous prostration and insomnia brought about by over work. His position at the mill was that o f chief millwright.

On Saturday evening he called at the W.C. Arnold’s drug store to see his friend Dr. Graham and after making a confident of him on matters that he conceived to be troubles he requested the doctor take him in hand and if possible induce sleep. He was taken over to the office, a fire was built for comfort and a dose of chloral administered, some ten grains as Dr. Graham estimates.

The was followed by three lighter doses without securing the effect sought. The patient died at about ten o’clock on Sunday morning. A jury was impanelled and testimony taken on Monday and also on Tuesday. The jury ordered a post mortem examination. On Tuesday afternoon at the undertakers, in the presence of the coroner, jury, Drs. Crosby, Carroll, Atwood, Graham, Hinman, Biggs, May, and Cole, a few others and the representative of the Record. Dr.’s. W.H. Taylor and A.P. McConnell made the examination.

The stomach was opened and found to be in a normal condition, the liver, heart and lungs examined without finding any indication that the subject came to this death by other than natural causes. Following is the material portion of the verdict:

The jury upon their oaths do say that the said S.W .Newson, while in dr. Graham’s office in the city of Ludington, in said county, to wit; On the 17th of January, 1886 was found dead, but died in the presence of Dr. Crosby and others; that he had no marks of violence appearing on his body and that he, the said W.S.Newson, died from the nervous prostration and not otherwise. In witness where of the said coroner and jury of this inquest have her unto set their hands and seals.

Jan. 28, 1886

Mrs. L.S. Haines, a resident of Summit township, died on Monday last and was buried on Tuesday. Rev. A.A. Darling preached the funeral sermon.

Feb. 4, 1886

The friends of Mrs. Henry C Taylor will be pained to learn of her death which took place at Rockford this state. She has been suffering for two years past and to add to her sufferings her eyesight had gradually left her until she was totally blind for months before her demise. Mrs. Taylor was a lady of fine sensibilities and kindly disposition and was a friend indeed to those who must needed her sympathy. Her friends express genuine sorrow at her untimely death and extend condolence to Mr. Taylor and his family over their irreparable loss.

Euphemia, daughter of P.M. Heyes, died at the home of her grandparents, in Amber, Jan. 28th, aged 15 years. Her disease was diphtheria and the funeral services had to be postponed until all danger from infection shall have passed. The case is a sad one.

Feb. 11, 1886

On Monday, the 8th, inst., Mrs. Thompkins, daughter of Mr. .and Mrs. Pliny Turner of Victory, died, aged 21 years. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill at the family residence on Tuesday afternoon. Mr. W.S. Foster, about 70 years old, died of Typho – pneumonia last Sunday at Fountain. Mr. Foster has been a resident of this county many years. For some years past he has been engaged in manufacturing lumber, having build and operated the sawmill east of Judge Wing’s place. He has just completed another mill at Fountain and built for himself and family a residence in that vicinity. He was a constant worker in church matters, and in all respects a good citizen. He leaves a wife and three sons.

Feb. 18, 1886

Anna, wife of Adolph Jensen, died last Friday evening, at the age of 34, and was buried on Tuesday afternoon. Deceased lady leaves three little children. Mr. and Mrs. Jensen left Denmark about seven years ago and have made Ludington their home since then. Mrs. Jensen has been in poor health for two years past, and died beloved by the friends she had made during her sojourn here. The bereaved husband desires through the columns of the Record to express his deep sense of thankfulness to the neighbors who watched so patiently and kindly by the side of his dying wife.

Feb 25, 1886

It was surprising to see so many brave the storm yesterday and follow and follow the remains of Mr. C.C. Rice to the grave.

Maurice Walsh, a young man well known as a scaler, died of consumption at the home of his parents in Wisconsin.


Mr. Cyrus C. Rice, of this city, died on the morning of February 23, 1886, aged 67 years and 8 months. He was born June 14, 1818, at Union , in the state of Maine, where he passed his early years. After obtaining a high school education he entered upon his favorite occupation as a machinist. At the age of 21 he was married to Miss Emily Wade, of his native place, who still survives him. In 1854 he , with his family moved into western New York, and for several years was engaged in lumbering. About fifteen years ago he became an active citizen in this new lumbering district of Pere Marquette, now Ludington, Michigan and was employed by Mr. E.B. Ward, who was then commencing an extensive and successful lumber enterprise.

For nine years he was the foreman in the Ward north mill, where his energy experience, fidelity, and sound judgment secured the confidence and respect of all the business men and citizens of his acquaintance. About six years ago his health began suddenly to fail, when he resigned the mill business and for the benefit of his health purchased a farm in Amber, seven miles from this city, and soon transformed it into a model farm; but his health not improving , he returned to the city and has for the past three years remained near his family friends, being constantly attended by his devoted companion.

During his decline patience and gratitude have increased as his strength has failed. Of his six children, three remain – Mrs. W.P. Culver, of Portland, Mich. Mr. Rice was interested and posted in the wonderful march of enterprise of his day. He fashioned his habits of life, his methods of business, his moral thought and his religions decisions amidst new scenes, pressure of business, intelligent progress and sudden fortunes – a period of victories and defeats throughout this broad country of exhaustless resources.

The funeral services were held today at the family residence, conducted by the Rev. S.N. Hill, assisted by Rev. R.M. Keys, amidst a large circle of relatives and friends. The burial was in the city cemetery. The name of the deceased is enrolled with many who have during the past year closed their useful active lives. Mar. 4, 1886

In this issue a list of all the marriages solemnized in 1885.

March 11, 1886

Freesoil news

We have one family with the scarlet fever, Mr. Hartwell’s folks having lost one little boy.

Mar. 25, 1886 No deaths reported

April 8, 1886 No deaths reported

Apr. 15, 1886

We are very sorry to note the death of little Rosa Arnold, a pupil in the first grade, Third Ward. She died during vacation, of typhoid fever. All who knew the little girl will not soon forget her bright eyes and smiling face.

April 22, 1886

On next Sabbath, Rev. S.N. Hill will preach a memorial sermon at Victory Corners on account of the death of a daughter of Mr. Peter Heyse, at 2:30 p.m.


Last Sunday morning the community was startled by the announcement that Mr. Duncan Dewar was dead. For some time past his health had not been good, but no one seems to have had any idea that death was so near. Mr. Dewar was one of the oldest settlers here and was an enterprising, honest , and liberal – minded man. He was a native of Scotland came to Canada when young, and after several years of residence there, located at this point, when but few white men were in the county. He has been a large and successful contractor and builder. By industry and good management of affairs he had gained almost a competency. His last enterprise was the building of the fine propeller, John D. Dewar, about a year ago.

Funeral services were held on Tuesday afternoon at the family residence, Rev. S.N. Hill Officiating, Mr. Dewar being a member of the Presbyterian church. He was also a member of the Knights of Honor and was honored by the attendance of that body and was buried according to the rites and ceremonies of the order. To those who knew him, it was no surprise to see people of all conditions of life follow the remains to the cemetery.

Not a conveyance of any kind was left at any livery stable in town. His Pastor, Mr. Hill, reports that he was active and liberal in every interest of the church, and of society at large. Mr. Dewar leaves two married daughters residing in Canada, and his widow and two minor sons residing in this city. The bereaved family have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. Deceased was 56 years of age. The above’s will follows the obit. In this paper

April 29, 1886

Mr. John MCKenzie and family of the 4th ward, have been deeply afflicted by the loss of their youngest child, James Gilbert, aged one year and seven months by malarial fever. The funeral services were held at the family residence on Sabbath, the 25th inst., conducted by the pastor and choir of the Presbyterian Church.

Mrs. Berry , of Riverton, met with an accident yesterday that may cause her to lose her life. While ransacking the bureau drawer she took out a self- cocking revolver. Holding it in her right hand while working with the left, it went off, the bullet entering her head near the right temple and passing through lodged in the cheek bone on the left side. Dr. Atwood was called, who with the assistance of Dr. Graham extracted the ball. The unfortunate lady lied on a very critical condition but may recover.


Mr. John McGrath, a pioneer resident of this county, died at his home in the fourth ward, last Tuesday, after an illness of less than four days. The disease from which he died has been rare for many years past. Some thirty years ago it was epidemic in Boston, and subsequently in Cleveland and Pittsburg. It was then known as ‘black tongue’ or putrid sore throat. The untimely and sudden departure of r. McGrath has cast a gloom over the community such as but one short week ago was caused by the death of Mr. Dewar, spoken of in our last issue.

Mr. McGrath would have been 51 years old next June. He was a native of Ireland and came to this country when a boy. In the year 1856 he married Miss Flynn in Jackson. The same year the young people came to the county and purchased land in Riverton which they have since developed into a valuable farm. The greater portion of their married life has been spent in Hamlin. Their only daughter died Nov. 17, 1884.

Mr. McGrath was a member of the Knights of Honor, and as such was one of the pall bearers at the funeral of Mr. Dewar last week. During his thirty years residence in this county the deceased has at all times been known to a majority of the inhabitants, and up to the time of his death enjoyed the friendship and esteem of all with who m he came in contact. The funeral services will take place in the Catholic Church Friday morning at 10 o’clock. The knights of Honor will meet in their hall at 9 o’clock and in a body will attend the funeral services. The remains will be taken to the Catholic Cemetery for burial.

May 6, 1886


On Friday last, Francis E. wife of Mr. William Freeman, died at her residence in Grant Township, at the age of 59 years 9 months and 29 days. Mrs. Freeman was one of the first settlers in the county, and has led a consistent Christian life. She has been a member of the M.E. church for the last forty five years and died in peace and in hope of a resurrection to eternal life. Her six children were present at the time of her death. Mr. Freeman has, in his bereavement, the sincere sympathy of his neighbors.

May 13, 1886 No deaths reported

May 20, 1886 No deaths reported

May 27, 1886

Mr. Williams, a colored man of 86 years, died and was buried yesterday. He had been an invalid for some years and resided with his daughter in the second ward.

Rev. C.V. Vestling and family are mourning over the death of little Laura, aged 4 years and 8 months. She died of croup last Saturday evening and was buried on Monday afternoon.

Rev. and Mrs. Vestling wish, through the columns of the Record, to express their thanks to the friends, both American and Swedish, who so kindly aided them in caring for their daughter Laura during her last sickness.

Mr. Hiram Beebe’s somewhat sudden death last Thursday afternoon caused a great deal of genuine sorrow in the community in which he lived. For some time past, Summit has been making substantial advances in religious, moral and social standing, and foremost in every good work stood Mr. Beebe, who at the age of 45 was called on to pay the debt of nature. On Saturday last the funeral took place. The line of mourners reached almost from the church to the cemetery. He leaves a wife and several children to mourn his loss; and Summit loses a big hearted, public spirited citizen. He leaves an influence behind that will be for good as long as he is held in memory.

June 3, 1886 No deaths reported

June 10, 1886

Horace Buch, an old soldier, died at the Bridge Street House, last Monday. He was buried by Pap Williams Post, G. A. R. on Tuesday, with Military honors.

June 17, 1886

On Tuesday morning Ole Nelson, a Swede was found drowned in the bayou between the bridge and the Shingle Co.’s mill. He was last seen on Friday and is supposed to have been in the water since that day. The body was in shallow water among the logs. An inquest was held and a verdict of accidental drowning was given. Deceased was a bachelor, 46 years old and has been a resident here since 1869.

Mr. and Mrs. E.W. Marsh are in great sorrow this week because of the death of their youngest son, George Arnold, a bright and winsome little boy of eighteen months. The little sufferer had been sick some ten days and his death comes with crushing weight upon them. The funeral takes place today, R. M. Keyes Officiating. The boy was so full of life and promise but a short time ago, that the deepest sympathy has been excited through-out the community for the bereaved parents.

The body of Mr. Keeler who drowned last week has not yet been recovered.

June 24, 1886

A three months old child of Mr. Hoare’s, the baker, died last evening. About half past seven last Tuesday evening, City Marshal Ward’s son James with two companions were bathing at Butters & Peters dock, near James Street. The water deepens rapidly at that point and James disappeared suddenly. His companions gave the alarm and every means that could be devised was tried for his rescue but without avail.

Capt. Adams of the Rival, being a good swimmer went down repeatedly but could not find him. The search was kept up till nearly four o’clock the following morning when Jere Moriarty and John Crowley secured it. Mrs. Ward , the mother , stood on the bank all night waiting for her boy. Marshal Ward was from home at the time taking a prisoner to Ionia. He returned last evening.

The funeral will take place tomorrow; high mass will be said at 10 o’clock, after which the remains will be placed in the Catholic Cemetery. Deceased was nearly eleven years old and attended the school in the Third ward. He stood high both in studies and deportment.

July 1, 1886

Mrs. D.L. Dyer, who came from Chase here three weeks ago, died last Monday at the residence of M.L. Chapin.

July 8, 1886 No deaths recorded

July 15, 1886 No deaths reported

July 8th, 1886 No deaths reported

July 22, 1886

John Dalton, another unfortunate victim of that scourge of mankind, whisky, has been continually under its influence for some time past. He escaped from his watchers last Sunday morning and was last seen going towards Lincoln lake. Ever since Monday officers and friends have been making diligent search but to the present time have found no trace of him. Mr. Dalton is by birth an Englishman, and during his residence of some dozen years in this community has been considered an excellent machinist; so much so, that notwithstanding his unfortunate appetite for intoxicating liquor, his services were always sought after. Mrs. Dalton and four bright little ones were visiting in summit since July 4th, but have returned to await developments.

Rev. B. Morley will deliver a funeral sermon on the late John Dalton, next Sunday morning at the Baptist church, commencing at 10:30.

Last Friday evening the body of Jack Dalton was found floating in Lincoln lake with all the appearance of having been the water since the day of his disappearance. A jury was impaneled and a verdict of accidental drowning rendered. Perhaps this verdict was given with the kindest of motives , but the unfortunate man’s family have no objection to the real cause of his death being held up as a warning to young men who are now acquiring the habits of a confirmed drunkard.

Mr. Dalton had been suffering for some days from delirium tremens, and was not sane at the time he got away from his watchers and made for the lake. Complaint had been made on Saturday morning that he was not in a condition for his friends to take care of him, and the proper officers refused to care for him because he was a crazy drunk. Boys, steer clear of the saloons.

July 29, 1886

Mrs. Cavanaugh, who resided on Foster St., near Washington Ave. was buried last Monday

On Wednesday evening of last week an infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Germer died suddenly, aged two months. Mr. Germer was an engineer of the F. & P.M.R.R. The afflicted parents have the sympathy of their many friends.

July 29, 1886 -

Mr. F. Weidmar, of checkered fame, is lying at death’s door, delirious, and maintains that his daughter who died some years ago, torments him with her presence.

Aug. 5, 1886

UPDATE: Mr. Weidmar died this morning.

Aug. 12, 1886

Cyrus B. Albright, of Riverton died last Wednesday of consumption, a the age of 35. Funeral services were held in the Evangelical Church.

Aug. 19, 1886

A young child of Charles Nelson, Loomis street, died Sunday night. A child of Mr. H.G. Mallist , Foster Street, died yesterday morning, aged about one year.

Mrs. James Niel, of Scottville, aged about fifty years died Saturday night after a long illness. Deceased had been a resident of this county for about seventeen years. She leaves a husband and a large family to mourn her loss. Mr. Thomas Murphy of Victory, one of the oldest settlers in this county, died on Monday last.

Mr. Murphy was born in Ireland about seventy three years ago. His family emigrated to Ottawa, Ont., and from there he came to Michigan in 1868. He at once purchased 640 acres of land in Victory township an settled down. Mr. Murphy has been ill or sometime, but it was not expected that he would die till within twenty - four hours of his death. His remains were followed to the Catholic cemetery yesterday by a very large procession of mourning friends . Five sons and two daughters survive him, his wife having died about two years ago.

Victory news

Mr. Thomas Murphy died at his home on the 16th inst. He was quite aged and had been ill for some time.

Aug. 26, 1886

A daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Melville aged five months, died last Friday. The body was taken to Rockford, Mr. Melville’s former home, for interment.

Last evening little Frank Mason, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Mason, of the Second Ward, died after a lingering sickness, aged 10 months. The funeral will be held at their residence Friday at 2. P.M.

A young child of Chas. Peters died yesterday morning.

Mr. and Mrs. Bowen, of Victory, while visiting at Mr. LeGendre’s in the First ward lost their little child aged two months. It was buried on Tuesday last at Victory.

Sept. 2, 1886 No deaths reported

Sept. 9, 1886 No deaths reported.

Sept. 16, 1886

Mr. and Mrs. William Leet mourn over the loss of their child, 5 days old. They desire to make public acknowledgement of their obligations to friend who so kindly rendered assistance during their misfortune.

Victory news

Pliny Turner’s family have been sadly afflicted with sickness of late. One child has died and another, it is feared, may not recover.

Sept. 23, 1886

There are several cases of diphtheria in the city. Care on the part of parents may prevent a good deal of mortality.

On Tuesday, the 22d inst.,, Mr. and Mrs. Nels Berglund, of the fourth ward buried their little son, Conrad Eugene, aged 4 months.

Sept. 30,1886

On Friday, Sept. 24th, James E. Wilkie died, aged 5 years, the only son of Mrs. Olivia Wilkie residing on south James St. , The widowed mother has for the past four months devoted her constant care to her suffering child. She has the tender sympathy of her neighbors who have rendered their kind assistance, for which she expresses her sincere gratitude. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill upon the Sabbath at her residence, when a large procession of friends accompanied her to the resting place of her boy.

Diphtheria, that scourge of children, has made its appearance again after an absence of some years. It is not best in the judgment of some to alarm the public unnecessarily but in our judgment, the public ought to be warned so that proper precautions may be taken. Mr. Gust Marsh lost a little boy by the disease a few days ago and there are not less than twenty cases of it in the city today, mostly of a mild form. Within the past week there has been a decided falling off in attendance in the primary grades of the public schools, probably caused by parents exercising caution in this matter.

Hon. P.M. Danaher Dead

The pioneer Business Man of the city died of cancer in the stomach last Friday evening. On Friday evening, Sept. 24, 1886 Ex-Mayor Patrick M. Danaher died from the effects of a cancer in the stomach. The funeral services were held on Monday morning in the Catholic Chapel, Rev. Fr. Paquin officiating. The building was appropriately draped, and notwithstanding the pouring rain, the house was filled with mourners and sympathizers.

The address was very appropriate. The life of energy, of usefulness, of public service and of private devotion, was fittingly portrayed. No undue praise was given him: he needed none. This community recognized in him a man of uncommon energy; and of keen sagacity; one who, by reason of his superior intelligence, was a sage advisor and a natural leader.

After the address, the sacrifice of the mass was celebrated and the remains taken to the Catholic Cemetery for burial. Hon. P.M. Danaher was born in Ireland in 1822, and emigrated to Canada when he was five years of age. After a brief stay in that country they came to the states. During the early years of his manhood he acquitted a reputation for ability in managing large forces of men and carrying out large enterprises. He came to Ludington (then Pere Marquette) in 1863, when there was nothing here but a small sawmill and a few shanties.

A few years of application and he was one of the leading spirits of this community, with large business interests on his hands. In 1874 he elected mayor and again in 1875. He has been president of the Danaher and Melendy Lumber Co. since its formation. For a year past Mr. Danaher had been failing in health and in vain had sought relief from leading physicians in Chicago and Milwaukee. His last days were spent in comparative ease, and in peace, his large family being present. During the days intervening between his death and burial flags were hung at “half mast” whatever it was convenient to do so.

Oct. 7, 1886

The doctors disagree somewhat as to whether diphtheria is actually here. One thing certain, several deaths have occurred from the malady that has been present.

Last Monday, the infant son of Thos. R. Lyon was buried , Rev. McKeever conducted the services. The funeral was attended by an unusually long procession of sympathizers with the bereaved family.

Oct. 14, 1886

On Thursday, the 14th, inst., Mr. and Mrs. John Gustafson buried their only child, aged 5 months, from their residence on Loomis St. in the 3rd ward. The disease was inflammatory rheumatism. The afflicted parents have the tender sympathies of their many friends. Mr. Gustafson’s mother in Victory, is dangerously ill.

On Sunday last, Mrs. Josephine Wife of Mr. George Sawyer, of Amber died, aged 34 years, after months of decline from pulmonary disease. She died in the full exercise of a Christian faith and experience, leaving her husband and two children; there being no other family relatives in this vicinity.

The family have resided in Amber 7 years, having removed from the northern part of Vermont. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill at the Rickey School house on Tuesday afternoon, being attended by a large gathering of neighbors and friends.


Last Friday evening just as Mr. E. H. Fogg was rising from the supper table he fell dead. The awful affair came in the most unexpected manner and horrified the family. Assistance was called at once but Mr. Fogg had passed forever beyond the river. The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, the services being held at the family residence, Rev. S. N. Hill officiating. The Royal Arcanum was largely represented as was also the I.O.O.F deceased having been an active, intelligent and most acceptable member of these orders. The afternoon being fine the funeral procession was unusually large, Mr. Fogg being as widely known perhaps and as much respected as anyone in the county.

Mr. Edmund H. Fogg was a native of Bristol, N.H. and would have completed his 51st year next January. He married in Racine, in 1856, and has been in the employ of the P.M.L. Co. for the last 20 years, with the exception of one summer he was employed by Foster and Stauchfield.

He leaves two married daughters, Mrs. Will Gillett, now of Chicago, and Mrs. Joes, of Sturges; and a Son, still at home. Out of respect for Mr. Fogg, the P.M.L. Co.’s mill was shut down all day on Saturday, and again on Monday afternoon to enable the employees to attend the funeral. Deceased being a member of the societies mentioned above, has left his family well provided for, his life insurance begin ample to provide for their wants.

Oct. 21, 1886

On the last Sabbath, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Cooper, of Amber , buried their youngest Child. Rev. S.N. Hill conducted the services at the Rickey School House.

Mr. and Mrs. Jas. Gavan, residents of the Fourth Ward, buried their little daughter Sunday. The bereaved parents desire to publicly acknowledge their thanks to the friends who so kindly assisted them in their misfortune.

Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Mason, North James St. buried their little three year old son, last Sunday, Rev. G. Daniels conduction the funeral services. The little boy was the victim of Croup. He was a bright little fellow and his loss will be mourned for a long time to come.

Oct. 28, 1886 No local deaths reported

Nov. 4, 1886

Died, Nov. 1st, 1886, age six years, Willie, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Proseus of this place. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. g. Daniels of the M.E. church.

Another of our worthy citizens has been called away by death. Henry K. Chinnery, residing on Dowland street, has been prostrated for several weeks with typhoid fever, and after a partial recovery had a relapse and died very suddenly aged 46 years. He was born in England, but when a child came with the family to Canada. About 18 years ago his parents and family settled in the township of Amber, Mason , County, Michigan.

Where they have made several beautiful farms. The parents died a few years since. Mr. Chinnery and Miss Cassie Daly were married about ten years ago and have resided mostly in Amber. One son, now a young man, and one daughter, both of a former marriage, are his surviving children. The widow has the sympathy of a large circle of friends. Mr. Chinnery has been a noble Christian man, at one time a member of the Wesleyan church. He has been active in Sabbath school work, often a superintendent of some neighborhood school. He has been a constant aid in religious services and Sabbath schools by conducting the singing; by this and his social congeniality the young people of the neighborhood are strongly attached to him.

He has always taken sides with temperance efforts, concerts, and every benevolent cause being a friend and helper in all that tis good. He has been an affectionate husband; and a kind neighbor. His business has been mainly in the vicinity of his parental home and family friends. His sudden death was a shock to the whole neighborhood.

The funeral service were held at the Rickey school house, in Amber, on Sabbath, Oct. 31, conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill and attended by a very large gathering of friends and favored with one of the finest days of the season. By these sudden bereavements we are all admonished to be ready for the Master when he cometh.

NO Paper for Nov. 11, 1886

Nov. 18, 1886

Last Sunday morning Mrs. William Leggatt died of typhoid fever, leaving two children and her husband to mourn. The funeral would have taken place yesterday, but a telegram from her mother, who resides in Florida requested that the remains be kept till she could reach here by rail. The mother is expected this afternoon, and being a Congregationalist would prefer the services of Rev. L. McKeenon.

As he is not in the city at present, Rev. G. Daniels will preach the funeral sermon. The burial will take place on Friday. Mr. Leggatt who is well known among mill men, has the sympathy of his friends in his sorrow. Update Nov. 25, 1886:

A poem was published in the Record in honor of the death of Mrs. William Leggett, who died at her residence in the Fourth Ward, Nov. 18, 1886 of Typhoid Fever at the age of 22 years , 4 months, and five Days.. At. Rest.

Nov. 25, 1886

In the fourth ward, last Thursday, Nov. 18th, Rosa Parker, aged 12 years died the victim of diphtheria. The neighbors and friends of the bereaved family sympathize greatly with them in their sorrow. The following card is published by request; Mr. and Mrs. Parker and family which to thank their neighbors, for their kindness during the sickness and death of their little daughter Rosa. A friend in need is a friend indeed, and our neighbors have been friends indeed.

Dec. 2, 1886

Mrs. James Dolan died last Thursday an was buried on Sunday. The funeral services were conducted in the German Lutheran church of which deceased lady was a member.

Last Monday morning Orrin Hatch of this city, lost his life while in discharge of his duty as a member of the life saving crew, stationed at Point Sauble, about eight miles north of Ludington. The friends of the deceased went to Hamlin immediately upon the receipt of the sad intelligence, and brought the remains to the residence of his grandmother, Mrs. Girard, who for years as resided across the ferry. Deceased was raised by the old Lady as a member of the family. Mrs. M.M. Wells of this city , is his sister. He was about 23 years old and had been married a little more than a year.

Mrs. Hatch resided with him at or near the station during the summer season. He had been in the service three years and made Ludington his home during the winter months. Preparation were made for the funeral to take place yesterday, but the severe storm made it impossible for a funeral cortege to cross the ferry, and in a consequence, the time has been postponed till the weather moderates. The services will be held in the Catholic Church and the body will be buried in the Catholic cemetery. Particulars of how deceased met his death are given elsewhere in this impression of the Record.

Flynn and Orrin Hatch died ….ng the boarding house. … Capt. Flynn, of Benton Harbor;

Orrin Hatch of Ludington John Smith all died.

Update Dec. 9, 1886:

Capt. Flynn and John Smith, two of the Pt. Sauble Life Saving Station were buried last Friday morning. Surviving members of the Au Sauble crew assisted by the crews from the Racine and Manitou were the pall bearers for Capt. Flynn, and the St. Joseph crew performed the same service for John Smith. The double funeral was largely attended.

The lifesaving crew and the people of Hamlin al combine in praising Miss Rosa Hackert for her faithful and efficient services in the interest of the unfortunate surf men who were taken to the Hamlin boarding house for resuscitation. The say that people have been rewarded by authorities in Washington, for less valuable services than she rendered the crew that day.

Dec. 9, 1886

Miss Lillie Vandervest, an estimable young lady of 17 years, died from the effects of typhoid malaria , last Monday, and will be buried today; the funeral services being held in the Catholic Chapel.

Antoine Hergesell, an old German resident of this city, went to Milwaukee last week to attend a funeral. He retired to rest in good health, after blowing out the gas. In the morning was found dead. The remains were brought to Ludington and buried on Wednesday, Rev. Father Paquin conducting the services.

Old Mr. Sampson, a native of lower Canada, died at his residence on Dowland St. on Sunday and was buried in the Catholic Cemetery on Wednesday. He leaves two sons, John and Edward, who are well known and much respected in this community.

On Tuesday, Nov. 30th, Mrs. Mary B. Alexander, wife of Mr. H.F. Alexander, died , aged 40 years. She was a native of Vermont and of an educated and Christian home, in which she received her early Christian experience. She was married to her present bereaved husband in Barnard, VT. And soon came to this place where they have resided for the past 17 years. She has been a sufferer physically and mentally for the past 13 years. Their only daughter remains as the comfort of the home. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S. N. Hill, on Friday last at the family residence in the first ward, attended by a large gathering of sympathizing friends who felt admonished to be grateful for present health, and to be ready for the coming of the Master.

No more papers in the year.


Copyright 1998-2014 All Rights Reserved

This site and affiliated Projects make no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted. Please remember that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.

Note to researchers, I do not maintain information on families outside of my own at this time, Your best chance to contact other family researchers and find information is going to be in posting some of your family information on the Mason County Boards. Volunteers and lookup materials can be found in the "lookups" category. -I routinely check the postings if I have information or can steer you in another direction I will contact you. I do not provide research services. Historic White Pine Village can help you in that area.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See; http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY".

It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website using the following http://www.ludingtonmichigan.net Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information. Every effort has been made to insure the information found here is accurate, you are however encouraged to check the primary source for accuracy as mistakes are made by all of us.Mail to: Dave Petersen