Welcome to Great Lakes History Companion, Home Page Mason County,and Ludington Michigan Area History and Genealogy


Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information?



Important News

Would you like to help transcribe or collect information? Mail to: Dave Petersen




1887 Ludington Record

Jan. 20th, 1887 (only paper for month)

Mrs. Abraham Looker, of Amber died last Thursday of heart disease. Deceased was 56 years old and leaves several grown up sons and daughters, residents of this county.

A Mr. Ledbetter, residing on the other side of the little lake, died of pneumonia yesterday afternoon. Within a few minutes after his death, his little daughter, about seven years old, died also of inflammation of the brain. He leaves a wife and family in indigent circumstances.

Feb. 10, 1887 No deaths reported But there is a list of all the 1886 marriages

Feb. 17, 1887 No deaths reported

Feb. 24, 1887

On the 17th inst., Mrs. Anna, wife of A.P. Gustafson, of Victory, died after a short illness. The family were formerly of Sweden. They have resided in Victory for the past twelve years, and have made a good farm and home. The bereaved husband remains; also three sons and three daughters. Two sons and their families reside in this city. The funeral services were held last Saturday at the family residence, conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill . Several friends from this city were present, and a large congregation of the neighbors showed their tender sympathies and affection for the one who has gone before to a better land. Mrs. Gustafson was a member of the Swedish Lutheran Church and has proved her genuine gospel faith by her home life and by her devout feelings and bright hope when leaving the shores of time for the promised rest.

James E. Baylor of Pere Marquette, died last Friday, Feb. 19, at the age of twenty – nine years and nine months and was buried in the Riverton Cemetery on Monday. He had the measles a short time ago, and thought he had fully recovered, but took a relapse which proved fatal. Deceased has been a resident of this county for the past nine years, was widely known and was highly esteemed by all who had his acquaintance. He was born in Indiana, May 26, 1857, and when a mere child, his father was killed in the Union Army, leaving him and four younger children dependent on their mother. His family afterwards moved to Ohio, where his mother still lives. In 1880 he married Nellie L. Hatfield, daughter of Richard Hatfield of Pere Marquette. Two brothers of the deceased are now living in this county. He leaves a wife and three children, the oldest not yet six years old.

Mar. 3, 1887

Mrs. Mary Voss, of Pere Marquette, died last Monday, Feb. 28, after an illness of only one week, and was buried in Riverton Cemetery today. She leaves a husband and six grown up sons and daughters. One daughter is the wife of Mr. Chas. Grindemann, of this city.

March 10, 1887 No deaths reported

March 17, 1887

Christian Stearns of Summit buried his little two year old girl yesterday. The little thing fell into a tub of boiling water last Friday and was scalded to death.

March 24, 1887 No deaths reported

April 14, 1887

Mrs. Josephine Kenyon died at Custer on the 10th inst., aged 38 years. The funeral services were held at the family residence on Monday, conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill, and the burial is at South Bend, Ind.

Mrs. Elizabeth Harding, of Sherman died on the 7th inst., of paralysis at the residence of Mr. Watson, her son-in- law, in Amber, aged 66 years. The remaining family are the husband and ten adult children. They were formerly from England. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill at the Rickey School house last Sabbath afternoon.

Last Friday evening this community was startled by the report that Mr. F.B. Pierce Sr. had dropped dead of apoplexy. During the afternoon and evening, til after 5 o’clock he was on the street driving, and accosting his friends in his usual genial and friendly manner. He partook of supper with the family; all being in good health with the exception of Mrs. Pierce whose advancing years begin l upon her. Mr. Pierce was in his usual happy mood. After supper he stepped into the kitchen where the little girl was attending to some trivial household duty.

A few minutes later her cry brought members of the family to the scene to find the old gentleman lying on the floor breathing his last. A telegram was sent to their daughter, Mrs. D.L. Filer of Detroit, who was then in Paris, France. She is now on her way to Ludington.

Mr. Pierce was born in Boston, Mass., on Jan. 7, 1823. After spending the earlier years of his married life in New York state, he settled in Ludington with his family two sons and a daughter, in 1872.

Being a man of rare culture a thorough musician, and a most genial disposition, his society was much sought and enjoyed. A decade ago he was frequently the moving spirit in the best musical entertainments of the day, while many an enterprise for the good of charitable or religious societies had his best services, given freely for the good of others. He was a member of the Episcopalian church.

As advancing years began to press upon him he gradually retired to enjoy the evening of his days in cultivating his flowers and spending his leisure time in literary or scientific amusements. His domestic life was one of genuine and tranquil happiness; the closet bond of affection existing between himself and every member of his family. To the last he was the genial friend and friendly councilor of all who sought his presence, and as this community deeply sympathizes with the bereaved family, they full realize that they have lost one of the brightest, the best and the most thoroughly respected men in the city.

The funeral services were held on Monday afternoon at the family residence conducted by Rev. J.B. Pritchard, assisted by Rev. S.N. Hill. A large number of friends were in attendance to pay their tribute of the respect to the dead and sympathy for the bereaved family.

Mrs. Lucinda Stoddard died at the residence of her son-in-law, Alvah J. Morrell, in Riverton, on April 8, 1887, at the age of 83 years. Deceased was born in Holly, Mass. Her maiden name was Butrick. Her family moved to Ontario County, N.Y., and from there to Genesee County. At the age of 18 she married Solomon Stoddard and moved with him to Litchfield, Hillsdale, Mich. She was a professor of religion from childhood and a member of the Congregational church at Olivet, Mich. , at the time of her death.

April 21, 1887

Moses H. Taylor, of Riverton, has been pensioned (received his Civil war pension).

April 28, 1887

Mr. C.B. Rock’s little boy, four months old died last Friday morning. Mr. Frederick Wanderer, of Amber died on the 22nd inst., at the residence of one of his sons in Milwaukee, aged 62 years. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill assisted by a division of the Royal Arcanum, on last Sabbath afternoon at the Rickey School House. The attendance of friends and citizens was very large. He with his wife was formerly from Germany, but have resided for the past twenty years in this part of the country, living on his Amber farm 9 years. He leaves his widows and five sons, two upon the farm, two in Milwaukee, and one a young business man in this city. The family have the sympathy of a large circle of friends. Let us be admonished by these bereavements to be ready for the call of the Master.

May 5, 1887

On Monday, the 2nd inst., at 2 p.m. Mr. and Mrs. P.J. Grant of the 4th ward, buried their youngest child, U.S. Grant, aged 1 year and 7 months. Rev. S.N. Hill conducted the service a the family residence.

Mrs. Bridget McMahon died last Thursday evening of Pneumonia at her residence in Fourth Ward, leaving a family of six young children and her husband to mourn her loss. Two of the family are now suffering from the same disease. The funeral services were held in the Catholic Church on Sunday afternoon a very large number of sympathizing friends being present.

A frightful accident by which William Rhoads of Amber lost his life, occurred at Ames & Brown sawmill in Scottville, yesterday morning. Mr. Rhoads had permission to arrange matters for turning rollers to be used in cultivating his farm, and was engaged in lacing a belt. It caught on the revolving shaft and whipped the end around his leg. The machinery wrenched the limb off below the knee and stripped the muscles off the thigh. The shock suspended circulation so that a remarkably small loss of blood resulted. The sufferer was taken where he could be cared for, but died in two hours. He was an industrious, honest man, about 55 years old. He leaves a wife and grown up family.

May 12, 1887

One of the saddest accidents that has befallen any of our citizens happened yesterday to Clark J. Ryder, a young man of 19 who came from Chicago several weeks ago to reside with his uncle, Dr. Jacobi. In company with young Landon he went out gunning yesterday. They went to the lake shore. Mr. Ryder dropped his gun; it discharged the contents across his body tearing open the abdomen so that his bowels protruded. He was brought to Dr. Jacobi’s where everything was done to alleviate his sufferings, but he died during the afternoon.

May 26, 1887

On the 17th inst., Mr. Aaron Gotsaw died at the residence of his parents at Chapel Corners in North Victory of brain fever, at the age of 24 years. The funeral services were held at the family home on Friday, conducted by Rev. S.N. Hill, and attended by a large gathering of sympathizing friends. The deceased was a fine Christian young man and highly esteemed in the neighborhood. The family have resided upon the same farm for the past 20 years; and are known and respected throughout this county.

Died at the residence of Mr. Enos Tyler of Free soil, W. H. Wilson. The deceased died of Rheumatism of the heart after a short illness. He was a half- brother of Mrs. Tyler and a young man of good habits. The remains were taken in charge by the I.O.O.F. of Shelby, of which he was a member.

June 2, 1887

Mr. Peter Burns’ little girl, 2 ½ years old, who has been suffering from tubercular meningitis, died last Sunday night and was buried on Tuesday.

June 9, 1887 No deaths recorded

June 16, 1887 No deaths reported

June 23, 1887

On Friday, the 17th inst., Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Campau, of Lincoln, buried a child aged two years at the cemetery.

Mrs. Samuel Semples, of the Fourth Ward, died on the 14th inst., aged 28 years. Mr. and Mrs. Semples, formerly of Ireland, have resided in Ludington about 7 years: they have secured a pleasant residence and have enjoyed a happy home until disease has brought the shadow of grief. The have both been members of the Presbyterian church for the past two years. Bur for eight months she has steadily declined in health from pulmonary disease. She has adorned her Christian life with a strong faith and assurance of hope; her last days were as the clear sunset, ready to depart and to be with Jesus. The bereaved husband and son of seven years, have the sympathy of many friends. The funeral service were held on Friday last, at the family residence.

June 30, 1887

On the 24th isn’t. Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy, of the fourth ward, buried their infant child.

Johnnie Altshwager, aged 13, left home last Sunday at noon accompanied by a number of companions. They walked the shores of Lincoln Lake where he alone ventured in to swim. In a short time he cried for help and sank. A companion ventured in but failed to reach him in time. His younger brother returned home with his clothes and was the first to tell the family the sad news. Mr. Altschwanter and a party of friends returned to the spot and succeeded in recovering the body.

The funeral took place on Tuesday morning, six of his schoolmates, Clarence Dowland, Bernard Buenning, Willie Saulsbury, Woodie Stauchfield, Willie Ballard, and Johnny Manning, acting as pall bearers. The pupils in the First Ward school marched in a body to attend the funeral services by Rev. S.N. Hill. Great sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family. Deceased was a promising lad.

July 7, 1887 No deaths reported.

July 14, 1887

Mrs. Angel, living on James St., died last week, Wednesday, and was buried Friday morning. The funeral was conducted by Rev. G. Daniels. On Friday, the 8th inst., Mr. John Larsen, of Victory, was buried at Chapel Corners, aged 60 years. He died suddenly and leaves the widow and one son.

Died, July 13, ’87, in East Riverton, Mr. Charles Green, aged 26 years, at the home of his brother, G.V. Green. The deceased was one of Riverton’s young men.

On Monday afternoon, the 11th inst., Mr. Albert Larsen died at his residence, aged 38 years. He has been a sufferer from complicated diseases for several months past. His native country is Denmark, Europe. He engaged in mercantile business in this city about two and a half years ago, coming from Manistee, where his mother and others of the family reside. Two years and one month ago he was united in marriage with Miss Sarah Hansen, of Manistee, who has been a devoted companion, both in business and in the home. Her many friends sympathize with her In her affliction. The funeral services were held on Wednesday morning, and the burial was at Manistee.

Mr. Charles T. Gatke’s youngest boy, four months old, was buried last Monday.

July 21, 1887

On Saturday of last week a sailor named Christenson, employed on the Colin Campbell, was helping to load timber. He fell from the rail to the raft alongside striking head first on a log afloat in the lake. His skull was crushed in. About the same time the log slipped from the hooks and fell across his body. The poor fellow died shortly after. He was a Norwegian by birth and not more than 23 years old. He had been employed on the barge all summer .

On Tuesday of last week, E.G. Anderson, a resident of the Third ward, and employed as a section hand by the F.& P.M. Ry Co., was one of a party on a handear bringing a grindstone down the line. It fell off the car and threw it off the track. Mr. Anderson was struck in the stomach by the lever and died last Saturday from the injuries received. He was buried on Monday by Rev. L. Knudsen of the Scandinavian Baptist Church. Deceased was 43 years old and leaves a widow and five children. Mrs. Anderson is a sister to Nels Peterson who resides at the foot of James St.

July 28, 1887

Mr. John Belville, of the Third ward, died on the 24th inst., aged 73 years. Seventeen years ago he came from the state of New York, and with his young family settled upon a new farm in the township of Amber which…missing…has the sympathy of their many friends of past years. Several of his brothers and sisters are living, but reside at long distances from this place. He was a modest and earnest Christian of the M. E. church and endured with patience his long sickness and had an active faith in the gospel promise of a crown of life.

Death and Burial of Mr. Edwin Andrew

On Tuesday morning last Mr. Edwin Andrew died after an illness of some weeks, at the age of 63 year and 6 months. It was thought best to hold a post mortem examination. Dr. E.N. Dundass the attending physician was assisted by Dr. W. Taylor in making the examination. Though not the immediate cause of death, the heart was in a state of fatty degeneration, while the stomach was much contracted. The cause of death evidently was cancer near the spine, originating no doubt from injuries received by the accidental falling off the roof of the Music Hall, since burned down. He never fully recovered from the injuries received, and to that the origin of the origin of the cancer was easily traced.

None of our citizens have been more widely known than Mr. Edwin Andrew, and a brief sketch of his life will be in place. He was born January 26, 1824, at Arlington, VT. On Aug. 19, 1846 he married Susan E. Van Deren at Bloomfield, N.J. Subsequently they resided at Hoosick, Waterford and Webster all in the state in N.Y.

In 1868 they came to Hillsdale, Mich., where deceased had an extensive business as a builder and contractor. In July 1872 the family removed to Ludington. The place was then a village of about 1200 and just beginning to attract attention. From that day to the present Mr. Andrew and sons have been well known, reliable and industrious citizens.

The funeral took place this afternoon at the Baptist church, Rev. J.W. Stone officiating. The services were attended by a large and respectable audience, almost all the businessman and families being in attendances. Deceased leaves a wife and four sons to mourn for him. He leaves them the heritage of a good name.

Mrs. Mahaley Baxter died on Wednesday, July 20, 1887, aged 70 years and 27 days. She had lived in the town of Grant, Mason County, since Feb. 1866. Had been a member of the Methodist church for over fifty years, having become a member when quite a young girl. She expressed herself as willing to die when the Lord was ready to take her. She was sick but a few days, suffered much and wanted to be at rest. Her husband, Wm Baxter, died in August 1876. Mrs. Baxter leaves three sons, two daughters, and eleven grand children to mourn their loss.

Aug. 4, 1887

Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wild buried their child on Monday. They desire to acknowledge that day they feel under great obligation to their friends who were so generous in rendering assistance in their sorrow and misfortune. Joe Campain, working on the boom for Butters & Peters was assisting to take a log on board the scow this morning. He stepped back off the boom into the water and sank at once. His body was recovered soon after but life was extinct.

Old Mr. Filkins, of Eden, was buried last Tuesday. On Monday morning when Mr. Filkins had breakfast ready, she called him and receiving no answer went to his room and found him dead on the bed. Deceased was remarkable for his rugged honesty. His maker will care of his own masterpiece.

Andrew Larsen, a resident of the Third Ward, was taken sick on Tuesday with Cholera morbus. On Wednesday noon he died, nobody being in the room at the time. Mr. Larson was about 45 years old and has resided in this city about 15 years. He leaves a wife, and two children both grown. The funeral took place today.

Mr. William Conger died on the 31st ult., at the residence of Mr. coon in 2nd ward, where he was boarding to receive medical treatment, aged 51 years. He has been failing rapidly for several weeks from cancer of the stomach. Mr. Conger resided in this city several years but removed to Scottville where he followed the business of wagon making. He was an old soldier though not a member of the post.

He served in the 7th Iowa Infantry . And again in the 13th Infantry. The burial took place Monday last, at 10 a.m. Rev. S.N. Hill preached the funeral sermon.

Sad Death of Harry Bisbee

Nothing that has occurred for a long time has called out the sympathies of this community so much, as the death of Harry Bisbee, by drowning. The family had prepared for a season of recreation by camping out near Whitehall, and intended to use the little yacht owned by Mr. Bisbee freely during the time.

They left here about two weeks ago. Mr. Bisbee and three boys reached their point of destination by lake, Mrs. B. making the journey by rail. Having completed their camping arrangements, Mr. Bisbee and his friend Rev. Theo. B. Wilson, who was there for recreation also, took the boat and crossed the lake for the purpose of taking Mrs. Bisbee to the camping ground. During their absence the boys donned their bathing suits and proceeded to have a time in the water.

They were using a drift log for a raft. At one point near the grounds the water suddenly deepened to about 40 feet. At this point Harry let go the log for a swim. He suddenly and without any struggle turned on his back, closed is eyes and sank. His little brother gave the alarm trying at the same time to render assistance. Others came to the spot and every effort made to recover the body but without success till it was too late. A tug was sent for the parents.

A telegram was received her the following morning (Sunday) informing friend of the sad event. The sorrowing family returned on Monday to be met by sympathizing friends.

On Tuesday morning the funeral services were held at the home, Rev. L.W. McKeever conducting. Rev. Theo. B. Wilson, a former pastor of the Congregational church and an intimate friend of the family, assisted. Harry Bisbee was thirteen years old, a bright and promising boy, an apt. pupil at school and a general favorite with his classmates.

August 11, 1887 No deaths reported

Aug. 18, 1887 No deaths reported

Aug. 25, 1887 No deaths reported

Sept. 1, 1887

Mrs. Joseph Darke died last Sunday Morning, leaving a family of five, the youngest less than a month old. The funeral took place on Tuesday.

Mr. Long, the man who was injured while assisting to handle time at the P.M.L. Co.’s docks some time ago, died today.

Sept. 8, 1887 No deaths reported

Sept. 22, 1887

Death of George J. McConnell On Monday morning last, this community received with sorrow the intelligence that Mr. George McConnell was dead. For some weeks past he had been in poor health and for some days before his death suffered under the apprehension that the mental troubles that had so marred his life was about to return. The young man was so well known that it is unnecessary to recall the time when he had to be placed under the care of people in the asylum furnished for the purpose.

Suffice it to say that in youth his mind was affected, as experts judge, by too close application to his studies. The trouble then commenced has been a constant source f solicitude and grief to his parents, who in their constant devotion to him, have shown a love and affection not to be surpassed. For some years he has been well, and the fond hope was in indulged that his cure was permanent. He had never show a disposition to harm either himself or others even when suffering from mental aberration and when during the last few days he expressed a fear that his malady was about to return, not anticipated the sad result.

The family retired as usual on Sunday evening. In the morning he failed to respond to the bell, and a search revealed the fact that his malady had indeed returned and that going to the garret he had placed a rope about his neck and leaning his weight back, he died of strangulation.

The funeral to place on Wednesday afternoon at the family residence. The service were participated in by several pastors and Rev. W. Hansom, a former pastor who was in the city. Re. G. Daniels addressed the assembled friends and extended comfort and hope to the sorrowing family. Of the deceased he said in substance:

George McConnell was born at Pontiac, Nov. 17, 1852, and died at Ludington, Sept. 19, 1887. His life of nearly thirty-five years has been a checkered one. It has had its bright side and its dark side – its sunshine and its shadow. He was one of the brightest boys – affectionate, manly, and true. He was of a studious cast of mind – a born student, and early and diligently applied himself to books. At the age of fourteen, by reason of over – study a dark shadow fell upon his promising life.

He lost that natural clearness of brain and became somewhat deranged. From that time on to the day of his death he was subject to recurrences of mental disorder. For the past five or six years he had been apparently sound in body and in mind and friends flattered themselves that the shadow had passed from his life.

But alas! A few weeks ago he began to grow despondent. Within a few days of his death he expressed a fear that his old trouble was coming back upon him. It came and so the shadow fell upon his noble, sensitive spirit, and its gloom rests upon us all this day.

If Life is a measured by deeds, not years, then his has been a full life – full of noble purpose and lofty endeavor. All who knew him, loved him. He was a bright, happy , manly boy – one of the most conscientious and upright young men; a thorough business man, punctual, methodical, and honest; in social relations, pleasing and accomplished in conversation, ready witted and well informed.

He had a warm, generous heart, and was always ready and willing to aid every worthy cause. But chief of all, he was a Christian man. From his earliest years he loved the Lord Jesus Christ, and about four years ago joined the M.E. Church and continued faithful in her communion to the end. He loved the church and devoted himself to the Sunday school work, with wonderful enthusiasm and success.

He had a clear and definite experience of divine things and always bore cheerful and definite testimony to his faith in Christ, and so he has gone – gone out of the shadows into sunlight, out fro conflict to Victory, gone to the land of Beulah where the flowers always bloom, and the birds always sing and no shadows ever fell.”

The best people of the city from all walks of life were present in large numbers, and never in the history of Ludington has more widespread, genuine respect for the dead and sorrow for the living been manifested. Dr. and Mrs. Mc Connell realize this and know also that “He who is the resurrection and the life,” is a rock on which they may safely rest.

Sept. 29, 1887 No deaths reported

Oct. 6, 1887

Miss Emelia Elizabeth Burglund nearly 13 years old, died of cancer in the stomach on Tuesday morning., and ws buried yesterday afternoon. The funeral sermon was delivered by Rev. Vestlng of the Swedish Lutheran church, service being held in the Swedish Free Missionary Church, Third Ward. Mr. Burglund and family are grateful to the friends who continually gave their services during deceased lingering illness.

Oct. 13, 1887

Mr. Piper , a resident of the Second ward, died suddenly of heart disease last Tuesday morning. He felt as well as usual after breakfast and came down town. Shortly after returning home he complains od of a pain in his chest and in a few moments was dead. He has not resided long in this city. A wife and three children mourn his loss.

Oct. 20, 1887 No deaths reported

Oct. 27, 1887

Mr. Hill, who was employed by J.S. Stearns in his Scottville store, died of typhoid fever. The remains were taken to Flint today for burial.

Nov. 3, 1887

Last Monday, Mrs. Oliver Tronge died of consumption and has been taken to Mt. Forrest, Ont. For Sepulcher.

Last Thursday a little boy 14 months old, belonging to L.J. Sovea pulled a pan of boiling starch off the table and severely scalded his arm. The following day medicine was prescribed to relieve his sufferings, and on Saturday morning his condition of health rapidly changed and he died at 9:30 a.m. He was buried on Sunday at 2. P.m. , Rev. G. Daniels conducting the services.

Nov. 10, 1887 No deaths reported

Nov. 17, 1887 No deaths recorded

Nov. 24, 1887

Mr. James E. Baylors child, four months old died yesterday.

Dec. 1, 1887

Last Monday morning George, the 7 year old son of Mr. and Mrs. L.C. Waldo died of diphtheria as was buried on Tuesday afternoon. The funeral sermon was delivered at the family residence by Rev. I.W. McKeever. The remains were followed to the cemetery by a long line of friends who express great sympathy for the sorrowing parents. The boy had always been very bright and cheerful.

Dec. 8, 1887 No deaths reported

Dec. 15, 1887 No death’s reported

.Dec. 20, 1887 No deaths reported


Copyright 1998-2014 All Rights Reserved

This site and affiliated Projects make no claims or estimates of the validity of the information submitted. Please remember that each new piece of information must be researched and proved or disproved by weight of evidence.

Note to researchers, I do not maintain information on families outside of my own at this time, Your best chance to contact other family researchers and find information is going to be in posting some of your family information on the Mason County Boards. Volunteers and lookup materials can be found in the "lookups" category. -I routinely check the postings if I have information or can steer you in another direction I will contact you. I do not provide research services. Historic White Pine Village can help you in that area.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED: The information you have found on this website is protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998. See; http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/ Individual genealogists may copy and use the information found on this website for personal use "ONLY".

It is not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use nor for use on another webpage without the written permission of the webmaster. You may link freely to this website using the following http://www.ludingtonmichigan.net Where information has been provided by someone other than the webmaster, written permission must be obtained by the submitter to copy the information. Every effort has been made to insure the information found here is accurate, you are however encouraged to check the primary source for accuracy as mistakes are made by all of us.Mail to: Dave Petersen